Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Expanding the screen?

1K views 27 replies 6 participants last post by  Cookiegal 
#1 ·
I was visiting a web site and when i wanted to check a link within it, i get a message that it would be to my advantage to expand the screen. Now its been years since I ever had to expand a screen on my desktop, I seem to recall at one time, in order to do this, you go to the corners with your mouse. I just tried that out and i do not get any effect in doing that. Of course i have the usual toolbar....does anyone know how this can be done? BTW, if it matters, i am using Firefox.

#3 ·
Using the corners is the manual way. this button is to expand to full screen.

View attachment 287461

Pressing it again will revert to the size you had before.
If your referring to the middle icon between the Minimize and the "X", mine is always set at Max...so I don't see any other icon that your showing here. BTW, I am still using and happily, Windows 7.

#4 ·
That was Chrome and it's the same icon for both Max Screen and Restore Down. To Full Screen in Firefox is the middle one here:

Font Electric blue Rectangle Screenshot Auto part

As to the site, are you being hampered? Does it appear to be an informational message?

What site are you referring to?

#5 ·
That was Chrome and it's the same icon for both Max Screen and Restore Down. To Full Screen in Firefox is the middle one here:

View attachment 287465

As to the site, are you being hampered? Does it appear to be an informational message?

What site are you referring to?
Its my daily sport site....MLB Baseball lineup...when i check the "Scores link", it goes to a blank screen with the caption..."It would be better if you could expand the height and length to read them." First time ever getting that message using that link.

#7 ·
Tried Chrome, same problem. I think maybe its meant to get rid of the top toolbar and whatever else is at the top, but I do not know how to do that, also, i do not have a video card my desktop video is integrated, so maybe that limits me.

#13 ·
Then I suspect you have the same issue I have, which is you need to use Fn+F11.

If you have an Fn key on the bottom left of your keyboard, hold that then press F11. Make sure you are not in any text boxes.
No FN on my desktop keyboard. I do see the numbers increase with ctr + from 100-400 but it only seems to effect the fonts... Am i suppose to get rid of all the top toolbars and etc.? If I do, how?

#14 ·
OK, some partial success....viewing in Firefox, i went to menu and sure enough there is a 'button' with various arrows, click on that and it made the screen bigger...but here is the caveat, once in that mode, I can't get back to normal screen, cause in the large mode there is no menu that i can get to in order to undo it. I pressed all the tabs on the keyboard with no luck. I had to open task manager and remove the window and then went back to normal. I was hoping that i could get back the Firefox menu to undo it. Apparently, FF has its own set of rules.

#15 ·
The Fn (function key) is lower left between the left ctrl key and the windows key.

The Microsoft media keyboard has the Fn key on the lower right aside of the Alt key.

If you are on a laptop, simply press the F11 key along the top row. To get the title and search back, press F11 again.

#17 ·
If You read my last statement, I found the problem....just a word to let anyone who reads this, not everyone has the same keyboard setups. I know that FN is usually on laptops and I mentioned that I am using a desktop with a keyboard that is well over 12 years old...no FN key. Thank you.

#16 ·
when you in the full screen mode, you can move the mouse to the top of the screen and it will drop down the top bar.

If F11 doesn't work on it's own, then maybe that key doesn't work. There is no reason for it not to, unless there is another key that needs to be pressed. Does the colour of the key F11 different to the a-zs?

What is the make/name of the keyboard if you know?

#18 ·
My keyboard, attached to a 2009 desktop computer, is from the 1990's. The keyboard that came with the 2009 computer, was black so it is in storage. Does it not have a row of function keys across the top?

I just checked. I have 9 keyboards: brands like Dell, Logitech, Gateway and emachine as well as no name junkers. Some of these are quite old. (pre 2009) Most are PS/2 but 2 or 3 are USB. All have a row of function keys above the numbers.
Mine is similar to this except it says QuietKey aside of the Dell logo.
Computer keyboard Space bar Rectangle Office equipment Input device

#21 ·
Yes, was that the first site you see when u opened it? Mine opens up with all the video highlites of various games and when I want to get to that very site you showed me, is prior to it I get that message about expanding the screen and when i eventually do succeed in expanding it, i do not get that particular site, whereas in the past I had no probllems.

#23 ·
Its been quite a few years since i started viewing this site. I am constantly getting in my email a notice that its available. So I just enter the site without signing in. Do you think that makes a difference? How else would they get my email address? I checked my Firefox log ins and password and there is none shown for this site. Incidentally, that is the same url that I arrive at when I click on the email link. Only a week ago, I would scroll down to read the listed scores and then click on anyone of them and a site opens up that says at the top 'scores' and the dates of forthcoming games. Like I said in my OP, clicking on one of the scores in that scroll down list, opens video highlites of that particular game that I chose.

#25 ·
I did 2 captures the first one i get when i click on the email, is the one saved as CaptureSnip. I don't show it here, but on that one, I scroll down and i see a list of all the games played the day/night before. I click on any one of those scores and i get the following site, saved as Cap2. The one score i clicked on shows a video of the highlites of that particular game. Hope this helps.

Attachments

#26 ·
I deleted the second image because it shows your email address.

It looks to me like you're logged in there so you're seeing things we can't when we don't have an account.

I would have liked to see a screenshot showing the message asking you to expand the screen though if you can. That might help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.