1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Expansion portable drive

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Minji, Mar 26, 2020.

Advertisement
  1. Minji

Minji Thread Starter

Helppp :(
    I was transferring my files and photos to my drive ( Seagate expansion portable drive ) to my phone through my COMPUTER and suddenly theres alot of error while the files were transferring. So i cancelled the transfer and pulled out my drive and tried again but this time my file wont open.
    So i tried again but this time i used a LAPTOP, but my file still wont open and it even make my whole laptop lag. So i checked my file properties to see how much space is left so that i know my data is still available and not lost, luckily theres space used up (means my data is still there). Since i still cant open it, i went to my COMPUTER ( i changed the device again ) and tried opening the file in my drive, but still not working, instead of my file name showing, it showed "Local Disk C" and i checked the properties and instead of showing i still have 2TB of space, it showed 0GB. So i went back to my LAPTOP and insert the drive and it showed my file name with an E behind the file name (instead of "LOCAL DISK C" like in my COMPUTER) but this time in the LAPTOP i cant check the properties, everytime i tried clicking "properties" my screen lagged or stop functioning. So i went back to my COMPUTER and checked my drive file system, in the properties it shows that my file system is exFAT instead of NTFS ( i checked with google and my disk, the expansion portable drive the file system should be NTFS ) what should i do??? It looks like the drive is corrupted but the drive is still new, this is the second time I've used it, the first time i use it Is for transferring photos and it worked smoothly, i dont know what went wrong this time. The files in the drive is important to me, is there a chance to recover those files?

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    First mistake - you always copy never move or transfer because if there is a glitch, the files are lost/corrupted. If there is a glitch when you are copying, then the files remain on the original device and you can try to copy again.
    Second mistake - never cancel while something is working. Let it finish then determine what the error/problem is and figure out if it is fixable. If it takes long, walk away and do something else. Give it time to finish.
    Third possible mistake - pulling out a drive while it is doing something. You safely eject and if it says it is busy, you wait and try a few minutes later.

Why have 3 devices? Copy from the computer to the phone. It cause less lag and less chance for error.
    If you also want the files on an external drive then copy then there as well.

3. Minji

Minji Thread Starter

Ah yea sorry sorry what i mean is i copy my file from my phone ( i didnt move it ) {sorry what i dint use the right words}
    I right clicked and copy all the file i want from my phone then i went to the file of my external drive and i paste in there

And thank you, I'll remember not to cancle the copy process and pull out the drive while its doing something

I have 3 devices cause
    What im trying to do is to get all my pictures from my phone to my external disk so i use computer to transfer

Do you think whether theres a way to fix it or maybe reciver the data in it ? T-T

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Have you tried Recuva?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1242111

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice