1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Expansion Slot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tyler, May 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tyler

Tyler Thread Starter

I have an expansion slot, and I was wondering what goes in there? I know it's a stupid question, but I never hear much about it.

2. carltasha

carltasha

Im not sure what you mean , there should be a number of expansion slots on the motherboard. the top one will be brown if you have an AGP slot , you may not , below that will be short white slots they are PCI slots below those will be the black ISA slots , new boards dont have any of these. your vidio card will go in the AGP slot if you have one . the other slots are for sound cards , modem, network ,

3. Tyler

Tyler Thread Starter

My board is CyrixGX and everything (processor, video, sound..) are all onboard. There is one other slot, which houses my modem. The one above it in question is white...
    So I am able to buy a better soundcard and install it in this port and just disable the onboard one? Are these a special type of cards, becuase all the normal cards ive seen can be accessed from the back of the system, but I dont have a spot for it. The expansion slot seems entirely internal.

4. anlore2001

anlore2001

First Name:
    Andrew
    Welcome to TSG Tyler
    The slot is a PCI card and the only thing you really need for a sound card is one that goes in a PCI slot and is compatable with your specific system. The PCI slot should have an opening to the back of the system, most of the time the unused ports/bays are covered with a metal cover that attaches to the inside by a screw (look around the edge of the modem card and you should see a screw above the modem, not the one holding the modem in but above it... next to the PCI slot. Or the back has a punch out that can be removed to allow access. Good Luck

5. Tyler

Tyler Thread Starter

Nope, no opening at all. I have an IBM Ambra Ispiriti and it is an ultraslim case... theres barely room for anything but whats in there. There is a slow, but indeed no opening. Is there something that can go in there that doesnt require an opening? Why would they put a slot thats useless?

6. carltasha

carltasha

sounds like the motherboard doesent match the case. the ultra slim disigns can be wierd.

7. sykootic

sykootic

sometimes these are not really pci slots but proprietary slots used for a riser of some sort. maybe the riser had pci or ide slots. but it wasnt used. I hope the next computer you buy has more room for upgrades.
    GL

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/79852

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice