1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

experiencing major stuttering when playing mp3s

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kickin_486, Feb 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kickin_486

kickin_486 Thread Starter

hey, i woke up one morning, tried to turn this thing on, nothing.
    took it to the shop, "oh sorry sir, you're cpu has lifted up and away from the motherboard, we had to put it back in place for you, but i`m afraid you'll ahve to re-install windows and your programs to get the drivers back" i said give it to me, i`ll do it myself, i back up some files through dos and decided a clean install was best, my computer hasn't been formated in 2 years, so what the heck.

do that, go to load windows, got some error, dont' rememebr what, but took it back and they said the original ram was bad and having conflicts. so the 32 was replaced with 128, plus a 64 we had put in a year ago. they loaded windows, but no drivers for the hardware already in like they said they would (burner and modem...) i installed the modem, no prob, the burner, looks fine.

i`m geting things loaded back in, then i decided to play some mp3s and surf the net, like i always did before, i could not switch a web page without the system stuttering, i mean performance and sound. i cant' do anything while playing mp3s or cds.

took it back in cause i thought it was the ram, they siad nope after testing. you're cpu is probably slightly damaged....blah blah blah, tried to put a new one in..many moons later nothign worked, gave back as is..... and now i`m stuck.

i`ve had some problems (download a song and play one, nothign else running, it comes up with system resources dangerously low)with system resources, but i think i cleard that up by taking stuff
    out of my startup through msconfig.

my big problem, can't play my mp3s while doing any other tasks!

second big problem, my burner hp 8200, stopped all of a sudden thought the middle of it burning with the following erros without any warning
    D0100: I/O error (05/64/00) - Command error - illegal mode for this track
    T0100: I/O error (06/C5/00) - Write error - buffer underrun occurred
    T0100: I/O error (06/C5/00) - Write error - buffer underrun occurred
    T7118: TrackWriter error - Command retry failed

this still happens after i`ve done a thourough virus scan, error scan, and defrag, my system resouces are at 84% when i run the program, there is nothing else running, it's just after i`ve rebooted my computer.

i have no clue what the heck is going on, neither do the stupid guys at the most popular computer shop in the city. i dont; think they even really bothed, i`m really really bumbed.:confused:

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi kickin_486, welcome to TSG.

Right click on my computer, properties.....how much ram shows up there? Then go to the performance tab, anything about dos compatibilty mode?

3. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Try updating Internet Explorer and Direct X, Java, also burner software...usually the things we forget to do.
    Note: The brand of blank cd media you use is a problem, too- manufacturer's FAQ's or burner docs may tell you which brands
    are okay to use- some colors of discs are not usable, too.
    Try another burning program, most drives will use any of the better ones.

4. kickin_486

well.... 192 MB RAM shows up, as for the dos capability i see nothing.

i`m running the latest internet explorer, i`ve got direct x eight in, java's the latest... i just updated the program, and still... nothing.

i used my burner 2 weekends ago, and burned a playstation game no problem with the same brand of cd i`m trying to now. i even went back to try to burn the same game and it won't do it.

i had none of these problems before the clean install. NONE, i just want everything back the way it was :(

5. stanggt2

stanggt2

6. Byteman

Check the details for your motherboard's chipset- they may not have come back with new install- some systems give you a cd, but that may not be best drivers to use, if its an older machine... guess you got the hard drive parameters right, BIOS might be some settings changed with CDRW drive detected wrong, maybe a cable or jumper wrong....check all the connections, maybe store people did something. Reseat RAM modules carefully, make sure they are inserted right, check specs for exact kinds and sizes of memory sticks the board can have in slots. Mobo manuals online at manufacturer's site, as I am sure you already know....... only way to be sure what chipset you have is to look at them. Make sure they appear in Device Manager's properties area under Hard Disk Controllers. Did you by chance go to Windows Update after the clean install and download the Intel drivers it says everyone needs? There is a problem with the Update site, warnings have been posted, do search for posts here. Maybe someone will post the link back to the post about it, I dont have it handy,. these drivers are not needed, and screw the CD drives, but it makes them disappear from My Computer I understand....doesnt sound like your problem, but you never know. Make sure the drive is set right in BIOS, some prefer Auto and some None. Is it jumpered as Master on 2nd IDE channel if it is an IDE drive? I think I would try switching RAM around or new ones of correct size and type... you just have to look up the info for the board. There are free memory checkers, too- diagnostics like SiSoft Sandra.
    I just reloaded win95 on a computer that had a bad hard drive, upgraded memory and took out the old tin 8MB EDO's- computer had many many problems until I put the 8's back in, and the new 32MB's in the highest numbered SIMM slots. Read that in a post here somewhere, to put smallest modules in first bank, etc... with DIMM modules not sure if that would be the case, usually they are fine with any size and configuration up to a certain point. Post back with what you try.

7. kickin_486

i think the computer peopel did do something....
    they moved some wires aroudn in the bottom for better air circulation., i dunno man..

i think the installed windows with some wininstall kit cd.. i dont' know if that's teh actual cd or what, i remeber reading that somewhere where it told me what operating system i was runing.

but when ibrought it back in after i noticed the problem with the sound, they tested the new ram, it was okay, they tested the newer64 it was okay, still had problems with either chip though. so they concluded the cpu part of it was dammaged, so we said put a new one in, well the had to put a mother board patch on, adn then whenit did work, the bios wouldnt' accept it (too old) so a new bios chip was gonna put us into spending mroe money then what we needed so screw it. they took it all out and gave it back, well we took it home, plugged it in, the thing wouldnt' even boot, so we had to bring it back, and i dunno what they did.

i think it has nothign to do with the cpu because they siad they coulnd't find nothing exactly wrong with it... but what else could it be is the question. i am so sick of this crap, i dont really have time for all of this.

8. kickin_486

thanks byteman, that's teh kinda help i`m looking for
    but i`m not exactly that inclined with computers, but i know a heck of a lot more than most people!

what would i do without this site?
    it's great, i gotta get going so i`ll attempt to check out all the things you've mentioned tomorrw!

if anyone else has any ideas bring them, cause i dont' think therey's any other way other than trial and error if i`m gonan solve this.

9. Byteman

The post above may be on right track, there is a problem with DirectX8 so try 8.1. I found a few problems with 8.1 on my machine, have not reinstalled it, but might have to.
    If you know enough about cabling, try just unplugging one at a time with computer unplugged from power supply and reconnect them solidly. Verify that the red stripe of each cable is at the Pin 1 side of every connection point on the devices and the board- you know, get the flashlight out, and hunt for the tiny "1 and 2" on everything, get the red side of cable hooked to that. While you are at that, look for the model of the mobo, or get it from the manual and post that here. Take out RAM, reseat one by one, start computer, see what happens. Try switching modules around, but you usually have to load at least one in DIMM 0 or the lowest number on the board... some boards let you load DIMM 0 or 1 and skip to higher number, some dont. By switching them around, I mean place in another slot where a different module is now- check the manual for placement and sizes. If you know what type of RAM you put in, or the store did, check manual to see if it is the right kind, everyone says pc100 will work for pc66 or 133 will be ok for pc100, etc but it can make a difference...there's always the exception to the rule. With the CD cable and hard drive cable, you most likely would use IDE connectors on the board, verify that IDE 1 is to hard drive and IDE 2 is CDRW, if that is how you want them...that is the most common way....CDRW's like to be set as a Master, and not with a hard drive on the same channel. Use the right end of the cable, too- the short end, which may have two or more IDE plugs, goes up to the device, the long part of cable down to motherboard. Try also switching cables- if you have some other good ones to try. If your drives use an 80wire ATA66 or ATA100 cable, make sure they still are- newer types have blue connectors, which go to the board not the devices. If you get really ambitious, check the jumpers, but this can be confusing, as the diagrams (or none sometimes) do not explain fully- check the manual on drive's manufacturer's site... look up the model number for the hard drive, get the manual, read what it says about Master, Single etc- makes a difference sometimes.. One other thing- try using different connectors from power supply to run CDRW- if there are any that will reach, or switch with the hard drive power lead. Well, what did we forget? Probably something simple like a driver got corrupted... doesnt hurt to learn all the tricks for getting things hooked up right, tho! Notice I did not say for you to take the processor out and reseat that- make sure during all of this you keep grounding your hands to some metal parts like the power supply box- if you take the proc out, what may happen is the thermal compound may not make good contact when you put it back, so if you do this, its at your own risk. That is, if the heat sink does separate from the chips surface, some are glued together really tight. Handling chips is not the best idea, they can be damaged with small charges of static in your body, so handle any memory modules etc by edges, same goes for modems, anything, and dont lay them down on metal or of course drop them or anything else onto the motherboard, and dont spill the coffee, either.
    Post back and let us know what happens. If this turns out to be a software/driver problem, someone will get some use from it. Print copies and give them to your friends, or enemies, too.
    [Post your version number (Like 4.10.2222A from the System Properties page, where you get the Device Manager- near where it lists your processor speed info- and post the Internet Explorer version, too, and the CD burning program wouldnt be a bad idea as well.]

10. kickin_486

oh man, i went for my scanner today that i loaded up fine and it was working, and detected under device manergers, after the clean install. and now it is no where to be found. i check all the external connections and nothing it loose. what now, oh man.
    i`m starting to wonder if i should be looking at another clean install.. or do you not think that won't fix any of my problems?

11. ~Candy~

If you had a clean install.....did you reinstall the scanner software?

Also, maybe post a listing of your IRQs....start, run, then type msinfo32 and press ok.....got to hardware, IRQs, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste.

12. kickin_486

sorry, i`m running directx 7a off the triple play 01 cd.

now that i have some direction as to what the wires all mean, i can start playing around with them

13. bubbalouie

bubbalouie

kickin_486, I can't help but notice one thing in all your posts, You said the computer shop said your cpu came loose from your mainboard(?) and when they refastened it down it required a new and complete reload of windows(?), first time I've heard that one!! Also the system worked well until the new, fresh reload!!

A lot of computer shops load windows on machine using a program called "ghost" which is a really good program however I've seen a lot of problems on systems where the inital load is a "ghosted" install. The ghost copy is for copying the operating system and files where all variables ( mainboard, cpu,ram, O/S,ect.) are the same. They use ghost because it is so much quicker than the good old install by CD or Network card, however the result can have you pulling your hair out.

If none of the previous posts can help you get your system back up I would really consider doing a complete real fresh install using your Microsoft CD. Hope it turns out for you.

14. kickin_486

0 System timer
    1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    2 Programmable interrupt controller
    3 Communications Port (COM2)
    4 Communications Port (COM1)
    5 SB16 Audio Device
    6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    7 ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
    8 System CMOS/real time clock
    9 Motorola SM56 Modem
    10 (free)
    11 Windows Sound System (WSS) Device
    12 (free)
    13 Numeric data processor
    14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    14 SiS 5513 Dual PCI IDE Controller
    15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    15 SiS 5513 Dual PCI IDE Controller

i dont' know what this is gonna tell u

15. ~Candy~

Those IRQs look fine....unless you have a USB scanner....???

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/70938

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice