1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

EXPERTS ADVICE ! Wheres my bottleneck ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by samular, Nov 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. samular

samular Thread Starter

Hi Everyone

Im trying to find a bottleneck in my system, im trying to run Everquest 2 and it runs fine in "high performance" mode but as soon as i try and get some extra graphics it starts to give me serious lag.. im trying to identify the problem can someone please tell me where my bottleneck is ??

my computer consists of.

MB: Epox 8RGA+ Motherbaord with Nforce2

RAM: 2x 256mb TWIN X Corsair (333mhz)

CPU: Athlon XP 2500+ Barton Core (333mhz)

Graphics Card: Geforce 6800 (Winfast A400)

POWER: 350w Power Supply

HDD: Western Digial 80gig 7200rpm

I only purchased the video card recently and they are supposed to be extreemly quick, so im just wondering if there is an easy answer to improving speed or maybe i need to look at upgrading a few things... ?

And also another question if anyone knows, does adding another stick of 333mhz RAM to the third slot will that slow down my DUAL RAM which is now active in my PC ?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Did you fully uninstall all the old video drivers and install the latest from www.nvidia.com?

Make sure you have the latest version of DirectX -> 9.0c

And download any patches for the game.

System requirements for Everquest 2: http://eq2.ogaming.com/content/information-systemrequirements.php
    They actually recommend 1GB of RAM.

You may also want to update your NFORCE drivers. You can get the latest from www.nvidia.com, they include drivers for the motherboard's chipset and the sound driver.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    About the RAM:

It may be possible for your board to run dual channel with 3 sticks, check the manual. In that case you would put the two 256MB onto "one channel" and a single 512MB into the other bank. Or if you have 4 slots you could get 2 x 256MB sticks.

You get much more performance from having more RAM, then having less RAM and running Dual-Channel anyway.

4. samular

samular Thread Starter

Excellent, thanks Triple 6

Its been a while since i updated my Nforce 2 drivers but i have the latest vid card drivers, my computer probably could do with a format too.. can this effect how games etc can run ?

When i get home tonight ill go through all of that and possibly purchase another stick of 512mb RAM for the other slot !

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yes, a clean computer runs faster because its not bogged down by programs that may be running on your system and you wouldn't have any remnents of old drivers kicking around and possibly causing issues.

Defraging also helps, especially to reduce game load and save times.

6. samular

samular Thread Starter

And another thing Triple6 .. how did you get your CPU to run with a 400+mhz FSB ? hehe

whats the safest i could overclock my CPU and if necessary change power outputs or so?

7. Arcadion

Arcadion

512MB of RAM is pretty much a minimum for Everquest, you would benefit greatly by doubling it.

8. deviance99

deviance99

What about your monitor? LCD's and older CRT's have lower refresh rates. Also, check your system resources (ctrl+alt+del, task manager) to see if some programs are eating your CPU% or amount of RAM.

9. samular

samular Thread Starter

Thanks for reply guys

yeah i think that will be one attack ill have to front ASAP.

My monitor is an LG CRT Flatscreen, reletively new so i wouldnt think it would be causing the problem.. but i have been fooled before. Ill have a look at the resources when i get home, cheers.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    "And another thing Triple6 .. how did you get your CPU to run with a 400+mhz FSB ? hehe
    whats the safest i could overclock my CPU and if necessary change power outputs or so?"

With any overclock you are taking a risk. You need to monitor the temps of the motherboard and CPU - you may need to upgrade the cooling. For best results you want to increase the entire FSB, so both the CPU and RAM speeds. In some cases you may need to increase the CPU's core voltage, and the RAM voltage if the system is unstable at a higher clock speed. This usually results in temperature increase.

I don't think the refresh rate is the problem, resources could very well be.

11. WarC

WarC

As said before the amount of memory you have is your system's biggest bottleneck, followed by the speed of the memory.

Adding that stick of 512 should by itself solve your problems, especially if it will run in Dual Channel.

future upgrades you might want to look into is faster, PC3200 RAM. Although with all the money your spending on PC2700 that would be only a small increase for a lot of money.

As Triple6 said, overclocking generates a lot of heat. If Triple6 has a 333MHz FSB processor running at 400MHz, you can bet he has aftermarket cooling in his system.

Monitor frequency shouldn't even be an issue unless your seeing faint lines dancing across the screen or one of the corners of the screen is shaky. It doesn't have a bearing on performance of the system as a whole, at least for computer games as far as I know.

12. samular

samular Thread Starter

Thanks for your help guys, and for reference i will be purchasing another stick of 512 this thursday ! (yay) but i tried a friends stick of 256 in there and it made noticeable difference.

Thanks again for your assistance !

13. samular

samular Thread Starter

OK, more help lol

I got home and added the stick of 512mb PC2700 CORSAIR when i got home in the third slot on my motherboard, to make it 2x 256mb PC2700 and 1x 512mb PC2700 and what happend is i turned my comp on and the monitor didnt flick on then i started getting horrible beeping... any ideas ?

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The beeping indicates a memroy or video problem depending on the beeps. Reseat the memory and/or video card or try the RAM individually.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/296435

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice