1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Expiration Dates on HP 2000C Cartridges

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nedraw, Jan 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nedraw

Nedraw Thread Starter

I did a "REFILL KIT" on my empty cartridges. But it didn't do any good. It still acted as if they where empty. Then I noticed when I went into the HP 2000c tools and clicked on "Ink Cartridge Information" It gave me expiration dates on each cartridge. I went and bought new cartridges. I then put the new cap on the old cartridge that I had just refilled. This gave me a new expiration date. But now I have brand new cartridges and old expirations....
    SO... The bottom line is, if there isn't a fix for the expiration date code. Then the refill kits for the HP 2000C are for the birds .

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Nedraw
    Welcome to TSG!

Seems you have fallen prey to the Smart chip! HP decided years ago to incorporate a smart chip in there ink cartridges that talks to a smart chip in your printer that in turn interacts with the software too and in their words "This technology protects you from encountering costly repairs to your printer"! The bottom line here is the almighty Dollar! HP as other manufacturers do not make a great deal of money selling their printers! As a matter of fact they basically give them away because the money is in the cartridges. Paying 30 plus dollars for each cartridge, color or B&W is the norm and over the lifetime of the printer you will buy hundreds of dollars worth of cartridges. RE: Profit!!!
    Yes in the case of smart chips you are stuck! The shell is only refillable until the expiration date of the cartridge... then it will not let you use it! Here is the diplomatically correct answer from HP.
    http://bizforums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x9e677d4cf554d611abdb0090277a778c,00.html

And here is another reference.

http://www.ddjembedded.com/resources/articles/2002/0209k/0209k.htm

Now if there is a workaround I also will be interested!!

Also if the birds controlled the smart chips we would have the ability to refill these beyond expiration of the shell but alas the birds with the brains do not control it!

Dave

PS: Only Dave's Humble opinion!!!!

3. Nedraw

Nedraw Thread Starter

THANK YOU DAVE... THIS GIVES ME A LITTLE MORE INSIGHT ON HOW THE *%#[email protected] CARTRIDGES WORKS. I WONDER HOW MANY MORE SUCKERS LIKE ME ARE OUT THERE THINKING THEY CAN GET A CHEAP QUICK FIX WITH THESE "REFILL KITS"?
    EACH ONE OF THOSE COLORED CARTRIDGES COST ME $33.99 + TAX. BUT I NEEDED THEM ASAP.... I'LL HAVE TO GO ON LINE AND SEE IF I CAN FIND SOME CHEAPER.
    DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THOSE "RECONDITIONED" CARTRIDGES YOU SEE ON LINE? THANKS AGAIN FOR THE INFO...

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

Nedraw
    Many cartridges do not have the smart chip in them so they can be safely reloaded. I am not sure what a shop classifies as reconditioned other than what you were doing.

Here is what one reconditioner states:
    http://www.abcprinterrepair.com/remanufactured_ink_cartridges.htm

Dave

PS: Your cartridges can be refilled as long as the expiration date is not exceeded.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114033

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice