explore error

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

debbie1968

hi im trying to d/l the kill_cih tool to get rid of the virus on my other comp and every time i try and d/l it ( or any anti virus program) i get a box with a symbol in it that looks like a piece of film with the corner ripped off and a timer looking thing in the center of it....any one heard of this??? if so can you help me b/c I would really like to d/l it so i can get rid of the nasty little thing.....thanks so much Debbie

debbie1968

ok heres my problem, i have a second computer and it got a virus PE_CIH , i did the housecall scan and it it cleaned all it could out, but now when I restart up the comp, the window98 sign comes up, but i get a explore error and it wont go any further, i click ok on the error and all i get is a black screen....can any one help..thx

Hi debbie,

I cant find any record of a virus named PE_CIH, do you have anymore info regarding the name of the virus?

debbie1968

heres the viruses that housecall listed.....PE_CIH PE_FUNLOVE.DAM PE_NIMDA.A-O PE_FUNLOVE.4099 i know there is a CIH virus out there b/c i found a place to d/l a thing called KILL_CIH tool to try and get rid of it

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Debbie, are you sure you've followed the removal procedures for all of the various viruses? I'm thinking your current problem is still related to one of them.....I think maybe I should merge this into your other thread....

....and, actually, this isn't a hardware problem.

debbie1968

let me explaine all this from the begining and maybe it will make a little more sense...ok...husband was deleting movies out of kaaza one day , went out for about an hr came home there was a email on his desk top, with out asking me about it, he opened it , after that every time we would try and go on to any thing or open any thing ..errors or illegal opperations would come up....a friend suggested i run housecall on it , when i did it listed 4 different viruses, it cleaned some of the files but not all. i read on here some where to go to a site and d/l KILL_CIH tool and it will help to clean it out, every time i tried to d/l it i would get a symbol on my screen that looked like a piece of film with the corner ripped off and a timmer in the center of it and wouldnt d/l, so i went back to housecall and redid it and said clean all file , i then froze up and rebooted, when i rebooted it went as far as the windows 98 page . but then i got a explorer error, when i clicked ok, all i would get after that is a black screen.......sorry for rattling on but this might explaune a little clearer as to what happened

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Ok, it sounds to me as if you haven't been able to get everything yet.....so I'm going to merge this with your virus posting.....I think Rollin' Rog is gone for the day, maybe someone else will pop in and try to help....I'm not a virus person, and this in the hardware section more than likely isn't going to get you many responses.

P.S. (smack your husband :eek: )

Let me see if I have this sorted correctly. You have two pc's -- one is infected with cih and you want to run the kill tool on it. The other isn't, but you are having a download problem.

Well, good news and bad news.

The good is that the download problem can be easily fixed, just see this link and follow Bryan's instructions. Check out the attached jpg for a screenshot of where you want to go:

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56108&highlight=extension

The bad news is that there is a catch 22 with the kill tool. It keeps the virus from spreading, but does not remove it. And it really should be run before any antivirus scan -- which can cause cih to spread -- that's the catch.

But let's get your ability to download on the uninfected pc fixed and see where you can go from there.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online