1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Exploree freezes when I right-click a file.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by daxrod, Apr 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. daxrod

daxrod Thread Starter

I am running 8.1 on an Asus laptop. As of yesterday, every time I try to right click a file inside my downloads folder, the hourglass symbol just hangs there and then the folder says not responding. I have to close it. I have opened in safe mode and the issue is not there. Everything works fine. I then tried a clean boot, but the problem persisted afterwards. Please help with this issue

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

1. open a cmd prompt with admin rights and type

sfc /scannow

that is a system file check please post what it reports

2. What antivirus do you use please

3. Please do not use one, but is there any chance you are using a registry cleaner or some manner of third party system maintenance tool

4. In startup settings where you selected safe mode - go back and try low resolution mode
    That loads all as normal except the low resolution graphics

3. daxrod

daxrod Thread Starter

I tried to run the command you suggested. The message I get is that I have to be an administrator running a console session in order to use the sfc utility. I am the only one who uses this computer. Not sure what a console session is. Please instruct.

I use ccleaner and use the registry cleaner regularly

I have avg free antivirus

I will try your 4th suggestion ans report back

4. Macboatmaster

right click the Microsoft flag left of taskbar
    click Command prompt admin
    then run the system file check

CCleaner in default mode on windows 8.1 will cause problems whether or not it is the cause of this problem remains to be seen

NEVER use the registry cleaner of CCleaner on 8.1 as some manner of maintenance program it is the kiss of death

COULD be AVG, as it is the free version its uninstall is not a problem - run the system file check and then we will explore that and another couple of options.
    post the result of the file check please

5. Macboatmaster

I am offline for three hours or so

If the sfc /scannow reports errors could not be fixed
    run it three times rebooting after each
    If it still reports errors cannot be fixed
    go back to cmd prompt and run this one

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

copy and paste that as spacing is critical if it reports health restored
    reboot and re run the system file check and see what that now reports

See you online later about 2200 UK time

6. daxrod

daxrod Thread Starter

Thank you for all your info. I ran a complete system refresh and the problem has been corrected. Maybe it was overkill, but it was much simpler for me! So from here forward, do you recommend not even reinstalling Ccleaner? Ive been using that for many years and had always heard it was reliable. Thanks again

7. daxrod

daxrod Thread Starter

and since Im starting from scratch, which free antivirus do you recommend? Aside from free antivirus that I get from filehippo, Im also and in the habit of running, Spybot Search & Destroy, Malware Antibytes, and Superantispyware on a regular basis. Instruct on how I should procedd to keep my pc running tiptop. I do download a lot from the internet. But primarily use my computer for watching movies and surfing the web

8. Macboatmaster

I do not recommend the use of CCleaner and on 8/8.1
    Generally it is unnecessary as these two OS manage themselves far better than previous
    The included disk clean up, with a periodic cleanup of system files, also accessed via diskcleanup is all that is necessary
    Apart from of course deleting your browsing history

CCleaner may be one of the better registry cleaners, if there is such a thing, as a better one, but it has no place on windows 8/8.1

The included Windows Defender far improved from Microsoft Security Essentials is the way to go. There is ample evidence that many third party anti-virus programs, whilst they work well on installation, then encounter problems after windows updates. This is not the case with Defender

Leave Spybot off, it does not work well with 8

Malwarebytes as the free version and be careful to opt out of the free trial of the paid for edition which is an OPT OUT on installation is excellent as a supporting scan for Defender.

I like SAS but I choose what to delete
    The test is this
    RUN a diskcleanup, delete your browsing history and then run SAS, I have and it has never found anything

However if you run SAS before the diskcleanup - it does.

Many people will tell you that Defender is not as protective against unwise downloads as other programs
    That may well be true, but then NO AV will protect against the P2P, Torrents - malware loaded - downloads

Finally I do not know how much info you like, some people just want the basics, but here is a good article on Defender
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...tion-and/f1e00106-6687-4efe-9ec0-ed9f72fabb92

One of its benefits is that is fully compatible with ELAM - Early launch anti- malware - I am not saying that other 3rd party AV`s are not, but I do wonder occasionally just how fine tuned these 3rd party products are to the undoubted specialities of windows 8 and 8.1

you will notice on the link above some sublinks - one deals with the use of reg.cleaners

9. pfc57

pfc57

if you still have this problem.
    in Spybot settings (at least in the Spybot + AV version) there is a Systems Integration tab.
    go there and disable the 32 or 64 bit windows explorer integration for your system.
    test again, if it's the cause, contact Spybot

10. Macboatmaster

my advice as I said

especially as you are starting with a clean install

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!