1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Explorer can't see my CDRW

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dmford, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dmford

dmford Thread Starter

Explorer doesn't seem to be able to see my CDRW. The drive itself seems to work okay, and responds with activity when I put in a disk. If I click on the drive via Explorer, I get a message box announcing "E:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function." Applications like backup or music CD players CAN see the drive, though, and seem to have no problem storing or retrieving data. I welcome any help in solving this, thanks.
    -dmf

2. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

Are there any other devices on the same IDE channel? how are they jumpered?

3. dmford

dmford Thread Starter

Good question, I'll have to learn how to answer it. Thanks for the quick response. (For what it's worth, I'm suspecting that this is a software configuration issue, since I haven't had the computer case open for months, and this problem is fairly recent.)

4. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

That would have been nice information for the first post..............

What Operating System are you using?
    What burning software do you use? etc

5. steppenwolf

steppenwolf

i had two drives or have
    mine did work but it worked better when i changed both jumpers
    i think they require special software

6. dmford

dmford Thread Starter

Yes, better first posts are always desirable, if only we can figure out in advance what will make them better, as opposed to bloated with useless information. Thanks for putting up with my attempt to keep the question lean and clean.

I'm running Win2k SP4. I have Nero 5.5.10.56/ InCD 2.32.0 for drive access. The drive itself is a Yamaha 3200E, firmware 1.0d. It is configured as master on my secondary IDE channel, and there is a zip drive configured on that channel as a slave. For what it's worth, I also notice (from Nero's InfoTool utility) that Autorun is turned off for that drive, and that DMA is turned on.

7. dmford

dmford Thread Starter

One of my utilities says that the auto insert notifier is not turned on for this CD device, could that be the problem? Where is the control for that?

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Should be in the control panel/system/device manager. Right click the cdrom for properties.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217296

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice