1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

EXPLORER. caused an invalid page fault

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Gill, Jan 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gill

Gill Thread Starter

Can someone help me, before my computer goes down again?
    The problem started last week. I switch computer on, and just as I got to the dest top, an illegal operation's box popped up. "EXPLORER.exe caused an invalid page fault" So windows did not load, and I couldn't even start in safe mode.
    The only thing I could do was reformatt hard drive, which I have done, but after I reinstall everything, a couple of days later the same thing happens, and I have to start all over again.
    Is there an easy way to sort an EPLORER.exe page fault?

Also when I try to put computer on stand-by, I get a message saying there is a device running, how can I find out which device is preventing going on stand-by?

please help me someone, before computer makes an exit through my front window.

Frustrated Gill.

2. Dark Star

Dark Star

Gill,

Explorer Page Faults..............

http://www.adare.on.ca/ipftips.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q237888

"Also when I try to put computer on stand-by, I get a message saying there is a device running, how can I find out which device is preventing going on stand-by?"

Ctrl/Alt/Delete and look for something other than Explorer or Systray,......... highlight it whatever it is and End Task on it, that will be the item running and not allowing the system to go on standby.

DS

3. Gill

Gill Thread Starter

Thanks Dark Star, but I've already done that, and pc still wont go on stand by.

4. Dark Star

Dark Star

Gill,

We can deal with the "stand by" issue after we figure out what is the cause of these "EXPLORER.exe caused an invalid page fault" messages.

BTW, have you found what you need in the links? If not what is the complete message.

What OS do you have and what IE ver. are you working with?
    Are you using anything like Norton's Crash Guard?
    Have you run a virus scan recently? If not, run this one.......

http://housecall.antivirus.com/

DS

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

There is a Power Managemnt Troubleshooting tool that may help identify the source of the problem....

http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q232728

The Explorer errors are difficult to recover from when they prevent booting even in safe mode. Usually they involve corrupt or incorrect versions of IE related files:

shdocvw.dll, shlwapi.dll, or comctl32.dll

I keep copies of all these files in a "backup" folder on the root drive, and know how to copy them back to the system directory (from a DOS prompt) if necessary.

You should also be familiar with the process of restoring a previous registry which sometimes can resolve such issues: boot to a command prompt by pressing and holding the ctrl key until the startup menu displays. Then choose "command prompt". At the c:\> prompt enter

scanreg /restore

use the arrow keys to select a prior started registry.

See also:

Hello Kitty Has No Mouth, a Zen mystery

6. Gill

Gill Thread Starter

I can't remember the exact message, but it was something like"EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault,
    "EXPLORER.exe at 015f:00401f31

I just ran the virus scan you suggested, and everthing was ok.
    I am not using any anti-crash system.

I am using windows 98 and explore 5.

Hope you can help Dark Star.

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

8. Gill

Gill Thread Starter

Thanks Rollin' Rog;
    I downloaded the PMT.shoot tool, and its sorted my stand-by problem out. I've also made a note of the other things you said, incase I have the EXPLORER problem again.

Thanks again
    Happy Gill :)

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

10. Gill

Gill Thread Starter

thanks again Rollin' Rog

I clicked on the link, and read all the info. I had tried numerous times to load explorer 5, using 2 different discs, thats why I must have had the problem.
    I've printed out the page for future reference.

Thanx

Gill

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65115

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice