1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Explorer caused invalid page fault

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by nettblly, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nettblly

nettblly Thread Starter

I have 98se on an old compaq laptop. When I restarted my laptop after uninstalling AOL I received a message indicating that Explorer preformed an illigal operation. Explorer.EXE caused an invalid page fault at 0167:00401f31
    Since explorer closed down nothing else loads. I no longer have the installation disks so I can't reload the OS. I have a startup disk but I don't know how to resolve this problem from the start up disk. Does anyone have any suggestions? :(

2. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

It's possible that Browseui.dll is corrupted. Did you receive any error about that?

3. nettblly

nettblly Thread Starter

No other error messages come through. It goes no further than the first error message since once explorer closes nothing else will open.

4. Cheeseball81

5. nettblly

nettblly Thread Starter

I don't have the installation cd but I'll try to extract the files from my backup d drive. Thanks for your help.

6. Cheeseball81

Good luck (y)
    Post back and lemme know if you got it fixed :)

7. nettblly

nettblly Thread Starter

I believe the problem is with Comctl32.dll. I have the upgrade cd (98 to 98se) but not the original 98 cd. The comctl32.dll is on the cd at WIN98_27.Cab but I can't figure out how to extract it to C:\windows\system using just the DOS commands. The start panel is not available so I have to do it from the startup floppy. The articles that you directed me to have not helped me. When I run fdisk/status I see drive C and D. D is partitioned and has the original 98 operating files on it. They are all compressed. I can't get those files to open with the extract command. I can get the files extracted from F:(my cd rom drive). One article tells me to type in the drive letter of the cd (F:) then press enter. That changes the prompt from A:\> to F:\> Then I am instructed to type "extract /a /y /e /l c:\windows\system base4.cab shdocvw.dll Mshtml.dll Comctl32.dll Shlwapi.dll Schell32.dll. I did this and the files were duly extracted from the cd but then The prompt is still there F:\. The article then tells me to type "extract /a /y /e /l c:\windows base4.cab explorer.exe" which I did but got the bad command response. So I tried "extract /a /y /e /l c:\windows\system base4.cab explorer.exe" which produced the message extracting explorer.exe from Win98_45.CAB which was on the cd. After that the prompt was returned to F:\>. The article than says to restart the computer. I did and instead of getting the page fault message I get Can't find Comctl32.dll. something happened but I still can't get to the start panel.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270458

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice