1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Explorer & Desktop Disappeared

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Cooosma, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cooosma

Cooosma Thread Starter

I just got back from vacation and someone had been using my computer, and it had been on when I got back. When I turned on my monitor, nothing was showing but my wallpaper on my desktop. I restarted my computer and when it restarted, the welcome screen was showing longer than usual (about 10 seconds), and when explorer.exe loaded, my explorer bar and desktop flashed on for 2 seconds, then went off and even when I try typing explorer.exe in task manager, it does the same thing, and flashes off. The only way I can use applications is by executing them in task manager. Can someone please help me so I can use my computer conveniently. I use Windows XP Pro on SP2. Thanks in advance.

2. spdabbs

spdabbs

Try a System Restore by either booting to Safe Mode and clicking "No" or running "rstrui" from Task Manager. Rolling back to when it was working fine should do the trick.

3. livewirenemesis

livewirenemesis

I'm experiencing the exact same problem. Prior to this, i was fighting the good fight against a malware program which directs you to "ultimate defender", among other irritating things. this malware even goes as far as to activate the active desktop and put a HUGE red biohazard symbol on the screen which, when clicked, takes you again to a site promising the end to all your malware and viral woes. SO. with my computer hung up in "infinite wallpaper" mode (as i've begun calling it), i tried to do a system restore from the task manager. i was thrilled to see that it was working.. or so i thought. the restore finished and... oops! no taskbar or desktop. i tried with multiple restore points and no resulting solution. still just a 2-second flash and then i'm in desktop limbo again, forced to run apps from my task manager (a cool feature i discovered because of this problem, btw).
    PLEASE help. i LOATHE the idea of reformatting/reinstalling. thank you.

4. devil_himself

devil_himself

livewirenemesis >> Start your own thread

5. livewirenemesis

livewirenemesis

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!