1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

explorer: different icons in new than old

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by grandpaw7, Nov 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

I bought a new (used) computer to send to my sister. The explorer menu in the old and new differ in several respects and I am wondering if that might be a problem for my sister, or if I should do something to the menu in the new one.

In Desktop>My Computer>C drive>Program Files, the only differences are:

Old contains a file named "aod" but New does not.
    New contains a file named "adaptec" but Old does not.

Old shows only a Windows folder under Desktop>Drive C, whereas New shows three: Windows; Windows.000 and Windows~000. In New Windows folder is only one folder, System. In New Windows~000 in only one folder, Temp. New Windows.000 contains all the other Windows folders mention below.

Comparing Old Desktop>My Computer>C drive>Windows with New Desktop>My Computer>Windows000:

Old contains these files which New does not:
    Applog
    AUBackup
    AUBin
    Desktop
    Inf
    Installer
    Local Settings
    msdownld.tmp
    NetHood
    PrintHood
    Recent
    ShelNew
    Sis
    spool
    Sysbckup

New contains these files which Old does not:
    MsApps.

Maybe every thing is hunky-dory, but since my sister knows next to nothing about computers and uses the one she has now very little, I wanted to check out the differences before I send it to her.

Any thoughts will be appreciated. grandpaw

2. LooneyTunes

LooneyTunes

Simply sounds like one is more updated than the other. Even an upgrade in IE will change many things in file listings.

If the computer works fine, then it will be ok. :)

3. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

Thanks, LooneyTunes, for your post. Turns out I was having other problems with the computer so I have returned it and gotten a refund. grandpaw

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60047

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice