1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Explorer doesn't load at startup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by DeFlux, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DeFlux

DeFlux Thread Starter

Hi all,

I've had this problem for months & its only now i want to get it fixed after cleaning up my registry thinking that it would fix it but it didn't!

Every time i switch on my pc, explorer won't properly load up & all that i can see is the background wallpaper. In order to fix this this i have to log off then back on again - sometimes i have to do this 3 times in order for it to start up the right way!

I'm on Windows xp & the pc is about 6/7 years old. I think its giving me the signs of it on its last legs!?

Anyway know a solution :confused:

2. DeFlux

DeFlux Thread Starter

Anyone?

3. RawkStar

RawkStar

Do you have the Windows XP CD as well as the CD Key?

4. The_Oracle

The_Oracle

not necessarily, however, after 6-7 years a re-installation of the operationg system can work miracles :)

for now, check you event log for (application) errors.

run a system file check (start, run, type SFC / SCANNOW and press OK - requires a windows XP CD)

5. RawkStar

RawkStar

Can always do a Windows Repair from the CD too .. which was why i was inquiring about the CD and Key .. I've had that problem with customers .. probably one every 2-3 weeks.

Sometimes chkdsk /r fixes it, but most of the time its Windows Repair or format/reinstall.

6. devil_himself

devil_himself

Give This a Try
    --------------------

Press CTRL + ALT +DEL to start Task Manager.

Click on "File" then .. New Task..

Type regedit.exe into the box when it pops up and press ok.

This is going to start registry editor.
    Navigate to this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\explorer.exe

Right click on explorer.exe in the left pane and click on Delete from the menu.

Then go down to this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\Iexplore.exe

Highlight Iexplore.exe in the left pane and look in the right pane for this Value:

Debugger

Right click on Debugger in the right pane and click Delete from the menu.

Close the registry.

Back in task manager, click the New Task Button again.

Type Explorer.exe and click ok.

Source : - http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=26753

7. DeFlux

DeFlux Thread Starter

Hi mate,

Sorry for taking so long to reply, only just randomly went onto this website today to find my replys..!

Anyway, i tried to look for the 2 keys in my registry but there is no folder for both of them in image file executions options? Strange.

Please could you advise.
    Thanks

8. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

You could try a system restore to a date before this started your data will be ok but you will loose any programs installed since the restore date.

9. DeFlux

DeFlux Thread Starter

I've got the winodws xp offical disc but when i try to open that file nothing happens, it opens the screen but goes away.

I did a re-format about 3 years ago & the only problem is this, the rest of the pc is working 100% (i think)

10. DeFlux

DeFlux Thread Starter

Its been about 6 month since this strated happening & i don't even know the date! Plus i turned system restore off to save cpu & space.

11. fxj10cn

fxj10cn

A what?? Can you please clarify that with more detail?

1. Does the computer/Explorer run properly when booted into Safe Mode? (you get to the safe mode boot option by hitting the F8 key as your computer is starting up).

2. Open the Event Viewer utility in your Administrative Tools control panel and look through your System and Application logs for entries flagged with "Error" or "Warning" which might be related to the Explorer problem. Double-clicking on such an entry will open a properties window with more detailed information on the error; post that info here. To do so:

In the Properties window of a given entry, click on the button with the graphic of two pieces of paper on it; the button is at the right of the window just below the up arrow/down arrow buttons. You won't see anything happen when you click the button, but it will copy all of the details to the Windows clipboard. You can then paste the details into your next post here.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!