1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Explorer error/safe mode

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Amy March, Jan 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Amy March

Amy March Thread Starter

Hi - while on the internet, I froze - tried ctrl/alt/del and showed explorer not responding. I closed my isp and then went to control panel to repair Internet explorer. Then I had some type of error and my system shut down. I restarted it and it came up in safe mode. My question is - what could have caused this and while in safe mode, what do I do next??? Not sure what to do in safe mode. Thanks in advance!!

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Hi

what was you doing at the time.... was you downloading something??

I suggest first to clean out the cache...

then run an **updated virus scanner.**.. http://housecall.antivirus.com/
    this is a free online scan

also how many items do you have in your startup?

3. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

As a first step. I would run scandisk and then reboot to see if Windows will start. Be sure to set scandisk to prompt before fixing errors and to also free lost file fragments.

4. Amy March

Amy March Thread Starter

I was just playing a game when all this happened. Cache is cleaned, since I do this every day. I ran my virus program, and all is ok. I am back to normal now, no more safe mode. I'm still not sure what happened. Mosaic, you mentioned:
    I've gotten into alot of trouble with this option before. How do I know which prompt is the one giving me trouble? Also, as to "free lost file fragments"? How do I find and get rid of them?? Thanks much!!

PS-tried to do a scan disk, when I came back, had an error but could not access it as the system from frozen. It did notice another error: DDHelp caused general protection fault in GDI.exe

5. Amy March

Amy March Thread Starter

Any further suggestions/help? Thank you

6. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Amy... you possibly have to much in your startup...

to take some items out... you go to start/run ... type in msconfig & click ok... go to startup & take the checks out of things you do not need to load as soon as you reboot. for a list of things you will see in your startup menu.... open this URL & go thru the items you have one at a time removing checks where you can.

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm#D

after you do that click apply & ok...then you will be prompted to reboot

when you get back to the desktop a window will show you are using selective startup ... click the box before you click OK... so it will stop loading everytime you reboot.

then you need to run a virus scan... hopefully you have oneif not let me know

also a spyware scan

ad-aware is what we use mostly... you can get a download of that at http://www.lavasoftusa.com

then when you have done all this and everything is normal you need to run a full maintenance program... diskclean up .. scandisk.. & defrag

for best results in maintenance... set up maintenance... to run in while in safe mode.
    Hope this helps

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63738

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice