Explorer.exe attempted to use a null data pointer variable.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Ger Hogan

I had previously installed IE6 on my machine, after installing web pages loaded slowly and when changing sites or checking email, this lovely piece of software bombed out on me. Then I decided to down grade to IE5 service pck2 And the following error message is what I get, I have a sneaky suspicion that this is a win98 core problem. Can any one please help I would be most grateful. Thanking you Gearoid.

Please see attached text file for DrWatson Report regrettably I did not run it when I was using IE6.

You forgot the attachment. But let's clarify. Are you getting this error mesage on a frequent or predictable basis? If not, it is likely due to some temporary conflict that was encountered. It might well have been due to some fault in the swap file or a temporary directory, which will soon be overwritten.

Ger Hogan

Yes I am getting this error message on a frequent & predictable basis, any time I go on the net,

Attachments

The first thing I noticed is that you have two files which remain IE6 versions.

MLANG.DLL
Microsoft Corporation
Multi Language Support DLL
For IE5.5SP2 it should be 5.5.4807.2300

SHFOLDER.DLL
Microsoft Corporation
Shell Folder Service

For IE5.5 SP2 it should be 5.50.4807.2300

How did you install IE 5.5 SP2 originally? Did you Download it to disk and save it or did you let it be installed at Download? If you saved it to disk ,you can rename these two files and extract fresh copies from IE 5.5 SP2.

I don't know if this is what's causing the problem. But you oshould have the correct version of these files for your version of IE.

Sometimes reverting to the previous version will cause this mix of file versions.

Also, how about disabling the Windows Critical Update and see if the error continues.

You can test for other conflicts by using msconfig to disable startup items. To use it go to start and run: msconfig

Click on the Startup tab and clear checks for all but scanregistry and systray. Reboot and see if you still get the error. Go back and selectively re-enable applications to see if you can isolate a conflict.

I ran Filemon and Regmon while changing sites in IE. Shfolder.dll was not called.

EDIT: Rog is much better at solving these puzzles than I am. However, if the problem started after you reverted, I would say you might want to try the IE repair tool in Control panel>Add Remove Programs
Scroll to the Internet explrorer entry and click Remove.
Choose Repair when the choices come up.

See what it says.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online