1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

explorer.exe bust!!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by panikdude, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. panikdude

panikdude Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a Presario laptop that came pre-loaded with Vista Home Premium. I've had it for barely 2 weeks now. For some reason when i started it up today, the following were missing
    - the windows start button
    - the entire desktop
    - windows sidebar
    - system tray

the only window that was open is the Documents window. It was apparent that the explore.exe file was in trouble. I opened C:\Windows and double-clicked explorer.exe and it opened another Documents window. So, I went to the task manager and ended the explorer.exe process and then manually started it again using File > New Task and typing in 'explorer.exe' and everything started working fine. But when i did a re-boot, I had the same problem again ( i.e missing desktop, sys tray etc.).

I've tried system restore and it did not help. I did not get Vista discs with the laptop so i cannot perform a repair off discs. Does anybody know how i can replace the explorer.exe in C\Windows (which is bust!) with a version of explorer.exe that runs when i manually start explorer.exe (which works!) in task manager??

Thanks..

2. reypaulino

reypaulino

WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL : explorer.exe running on high 100%

You will see that Explorer is running at almost 100% of CPU when you ALT/CNTRL/DEL. Simply click on processes, then click on explorer.exe and END THE PROCESS. This will allow you to go into the internet by using the FILE tab on TASK MANAGER and selecting new task, run. Go into the internet, www.google.com and look for Grisoft Free AGV. You will be able to go into the internet, download the program free Grisoft AGV virus remover. Run the program. It may take a long while for the program to scan, so click the selection at the bottom of the program that reads: "shut down when finished". This program is awesome and will be able to remove the new virus khhed.dll which is almost impossible to remove.

3. Tstright

Tstright

You know this is the Vista Forum....Right?

4. reypaulino

reypaulino

Rookie Error

WON'T HAPPEN AGAIN!

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

If you tap F11 after pressing the power button until you see an option to use the restore partition, you can reinstall the system, but it probably will reformat and wipe out any data there so you need to try to backup what you might need first. The other thing you can do is contact HP website as you can buy restore cd's for about $15 + freight. Just having done one of these, it looks to me like the cd is full Windows which might allow you to do a repair on the cd by booting to it and choosing the repair function.

6. panikdude

panikdude Thread Starter

(y) thanx to everybody who replied.. but i've managed to fix it by running a system restore from the menu that shows up when u hit F11 during re-start.. the interesting fact here is that i'd already tried system restore after booting into windows and it did not work ( please refer to my original post) .. for some weird reason, running System Restore from the F11 menu did the trick ..

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

That's because you are accessing a restore partition and that is different than System restore in Windows. Glad you solved it!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643561

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice