Explorer.exe continuously crashes/restarts

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Nathasmi

Hi this just started happening today. I'm not sure what happened to trigger it. I have run virus scan and it didn't found any infected files.

Explorer.exe will load when my machine starts up. About every 5-10 seconds, it will close, meaning my desktop blinks off. Another 10 seconds later (or around that) explorer.exe will start again and my desktop will come back.

Eventually, it stops trying to load and the desktop stays off. I can go to task manager and run explorer.exe to repeat the process of having explorer.exe run, stop, run, etc.

I don't receive any error messages when this happens.

This machine has the latest Microsoft updates incl service pack 2.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Nathasmi

After restarting in safemode and checking event-viewer, I saw the following:

"The shell stopped unexpectantly and explorer.exe was restarted"

I don't know what that means or how to fix it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Click Start, click Run, type eventvwr.msc in the Open box, and then press Enter.
Click the Application category.

Look For Recent Errors > Double Click on them > Another Windows Will open > On the Right Side use the Double Notepad icon to copy the error paste them here

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online