1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Explorer.exe crashes on boot-up

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by carmsantoro, Apr 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carmsantoro

carmsantoro Thread Starter

I have a 3 year-old Dell Desktop with Win98SE. All was fine until yesterday :mad: when on boot-up I got the following sequence:

A blue screen with a red box saying : "NAV Autoprotect unable to determine the location of the configuration files"

After clicking Ok the boot continued for a while and the a crach noise produced a screen with a red circle and and "X" and "Explorer.exe Invalid Page [email protected]" and then a stack dump.

I have tried booting in the Safe Mode and the Explorer crash happened again.

I tried the boot disk and can boot in DOS but don't know what to do from there.

Is it a vrius? schould I re-install WIN98SE? All help appreciated there is lots of vaulable stuff on the c drive.

Thanks,

carmsantoro

2. RSM123

RSM123

When did you install Norton Antivirus ?

First off if this problem only just occured you might try this - Go Start > Shutdown - and select Restart in Dos Mode.

Once the pc boots at the C Prompt - type in this .. Scanreg /Restore (leave a space after 'scanreg' before the /, but not between the / and 'restore'). You should then be presented with a list of the last 5 registries to boot successfully - choose one prior to this problem (not the first on the list) go through the necessary options - and the pc should boot into Win.

If this works - then you might run a full virus scan just in case you've picked up something while surfing. You could also (if you can get online with it) go here :

http://housecall.antivirus.com

And run an online scan - just to get a second opinion.

As I don't use Norton I cannot advise on their products - others here might advise you to uninstall and reinstall, in which case you might care to consider doing that.

Good Luck,

Rich.

3. carmsantoro

carmsantoro Thread Starter

Rich,

Thanks for this. It did the trick. After an abortive first re-boot the machine booted successfully the second time.

Good Call.

carmsantoro

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!