explorer.exe crashes when opening 1 certain folder...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jymijak

Hello, and thanks in advance for helping me out.
I am using a Windows XP SP2 machine with 1.2 ghz processor and 640 mb of ram.
My antivirus is NAV 10 corporate, it's up to date, and I also recently ran and updated Adaware and Spybot S&D.

Now for my problem. - There is one certain folder on my hard drive that crashes explorer.exe every time I open it. The folder contains some video, picture, audio, and text files. I scanned the folder with Norton and turned up nothing in the way of viruses. I checked for errors on the drive and it turned up nothing.
One thing that baffles me is that explorer doesn't crash immediately. If I click fast enough, I can view files from the folder, like a video for instance. But about the time the video gets started, I get the error message saying explorer.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. I know lots of people have this error and this problem, but most of the posts I've read about this seem to be a little more general, in that they are crashing at random times.
I only have this problem with this one folder. The rest of the hard drive works fine.
I think that somehow a file within the folder must be corrupt, or maybe there's a bad spot where that folder is located on the hard disk. Is this a possibility?
Really, I suppose what I need to know is: How can I figure out which file (if it is one particular file) is causing this crash?

Error Signature:
AppName: explorer.exe
AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180
modname: divx.dll
ModVer: 6.6.1.4
Offset: 0011a009

The following files were included in the error report:
H:\DOCUME~1\Seth\LOCALS~1\Temp\7cb2_appcompat.txt

If there's anything else I need to include, just let me know. Thanks again.
J

Welcome to TSG Jymijak :)

You are pretty right that many people have experienced this problem in the past but sadly few have came up with a solution. In the past few months, we had a few threads on TSG that concerned the same problem. Here's a link to one of them:

Explorer Crashing

Hope that helps. Good Luck.(y)

techkid

David
You might have to reinstall the DivX video codec. Some movies are encoded with DivX (not that it's necessary, but anyway), so is required to be able to view them.

Go to http://www.divx.com/, and download the free version of the codec.

Let us know how it goes.

Jymijak

Hey everyone, thanks for the help. I had actually already downloaded and reinstalled the Divx Codec, and it didn't help. (Not to say that's not what the cause of the problem was)
So anyway, thanks for the link to the older thread. It was very helpful, and I believe my problem has been solved by disabling thumbnail previews. Although I wish there was a way to just disable them in that one folder.

Here's the instructions I followed -
"You said it had Video Files in it. If so, do the following:-

1) Click on Start.
2) Select Run...
3) Type regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll and hit Ok.

This stops Windows trying to create thumbnail previews. Something that is often the main reason that causes explorer to crashes.See if it helps or not. Good Luck.
by Roku -

So now I have just two more questions.
1) Can I just change the view within that folder to something other than thumbnail, and it will be ok?
2) How do I turn thumbnail preview back on?

Again, thanks!

Also, maybe something about this should be added to the "explorer crashing" help page...

Glad that my instructions helped for you. It's strange that I have instructed many people with the same problem and none of them got the problem fixed as soon as you did. Anyways, thanks for letting me know about this. By the way, it's Goku and not Roku. :)

Now, both your questions are interrelated. You can a change a folder's view to anything by doing the following:

1 Open My Computer.
2 Browse to the folder you want to change the view style of.
3 Click on the View menu below the Title Bar.
4 There will be some grey lines that will kind of divide the menu into sections. In the second "section", you will find out some options similar to this:

Thumbnails
Tiles
Icons
List
Details

5 Try any of the options which does not cause the problem and also suits your taste.

That's it. You are all done. Hope that helps. Good Luck.(y)

Jymijak

Okay, one more question now. Since I have the folder view option changed to List, and there won't be any thumbnail previews, what is the command for showing thumbnail previews again?
Thank you so much, and sorry for getting the name wrong. :eek:

Just to be sure you understand what I'm asking...
I did this to disable thumbnail previews ->
Type regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll and hit Ok.
So what I don't know now is the command for enabling them again...
Thanks again!

I understood your question but you have already got the answer. You can change back the folder view to thumbnails by using the Thumbnails option in the menu instead of the List option. This will get you back on thumbnails. However, make sure you don't get the problems again as then you will be circling in loops. If you want the command prompt to enable thumbnails that badly, then try this:

regsvr32 shimgvw.dll

However, if you are saying this because you do not get the Thumbnails option in the View menu, then this article will help you out.

Thumbnail Command Is Missing from the View Menu

Hope that helps. Good Luck.(y)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online