1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Explorer.exe error -- Assertion failed

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by intrac, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. intrac

intrac Thread Starter

Getting this error when ever I right click on anything in Explorer:

Assertion failed: !"bogus context in ExceptionHandler()", file xx.cpp, line 3071

Any ideas?

2. Sadan01

Sadan01

Just a wild guess here but whatever Service Pack you have installed, I would reinstall it on the system again and then visit Windows Update.

For example, lets say you have Windows XP with Service Pack 1 applied. Reinstall Service Pack 1 (dont install SP2) and then visit Windowsupdate.

Sounds to me like Explorer.exe is corrupt.

Have you checked the system for viruses? It is possible that explorer.exe has been infected with a virus.

3. intrac

intrac Thread Starter

Sadan01
    Thanks for the reply. SP2 was already installed a few months ago, and I did a re-install of XP Pro and SP2 again 1 week ago. I've scanned for viruses (Norton AV) and scanned for spyware (AdAware, Spyware Blaster, SpyBot Search & Destroy, MS AntiSpyware).

4. Sadan01

Sadan01

Interestingly enough, there is a similar problem documented here (although, they dont have SP2 applied - no solution as yet:

http://translate.google.com/transla...firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=G

Note that the page has been translated from google.

Like they ask in that thread, does the error occur only when you right-click on a file (if so, what types of files?) or does it happen at any time when you right-click?

5. intrac

intrac Thread Starter

Sadan01,
    Thank you. My problem occurs with anything that I right click on when in Explorer. (example -- rename, properties, etc.). It looks like the identical problem.

I have has SP2 applied for quite some time, and I doubt if its' related to SP2, since it's only recently occurred.

In searching around, the only reference I could find is in Borland.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!