1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Explorer.exe forced shutdown

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by HumAnomaly, Apr 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HumAnomaly

HumAnomaly Thread Starter

When I go to shutdown my computer with windows 2k on it, it makes me end explorer.exe because it is not responding. Is there any way to figure out what is making it freeze up. I have done a clean install of my OS and it still has the same problem.

-Ben

2. rude

rude

Hi and welcome to TSG.This sounds like a problem with Microsoft Update # 823802(second complaint I've heard today)so I'll give you the same answer:

The hotfix that seems to be causing this problem is 823802 and so far the only advice I've seen is to uninstall it and you should be OK.

A search through Microsoft's Knowledge Base turned this up:
    http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...b;en-us;Q823802

It doesn't sound like your problem but maybe their solution will help

3. HumAnomaly

thanks for your advice but the hotfix 823802 is not currently on my machine.

-Ben

4. Dunko9

Dunko9

5. HumAnomaly

Thanks for the tip but I am running Windows 2000 and I don't have norton clean sweep installed. The problem happens when I shutdown the computer, the taskbar goes away like it is going to shut down but then the window pops up saying "Explorer.exe is not responding if you chose to end this task now you risk loosing unsaved data ect." Your tip did give me an idea to try running dr. watson which contained no error messages and to look at my event logs all of which had a couple of errors but nothing related to this problem. Anyone else got any ideas? I do have norton ghost installed and I unistalled that thinking it might help but it didn't.

-Ben

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221614

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice