Explorer.exe hogging CPU cycles

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

brokenstove

I've recently run into a problem with explorer.exe taking up huge amounts of my cpu time. Even after a format and re-install of windows and all other software on my system, the problem still persists. I've used several adware detection programs to ensure that my system is clean, as well as Norton Anti-Virus.

When I look at explorer in the "Processes" tab of task manager, it's cpu usage will be at zero, then jump up to 60, then back down, then up again to 35 or whatever. It's really annoying.

Hi brokenstove - welcome to TSG

Your proccessing for IE doesn't seem to be too excessive.

However, IExplorer DOES default to a lot of disk space
for it's cache. I'd knock it down to maybe 12 megs, and
clean it out at the same time.

It's also slow compared to Netscape 2, or Mozilla Firefox.
Firefox is light and fast and it works just fine.

Good luck,

brokenstove

Actually, it's not Iexplorer - it's just explorer.exe - the program that runs the whole system. (incidentally, I do use firefox)

I have this same problem too. It is not a problem until I try to watch a DVD or play a video file. Explorer.exe takes up about 90% of my resources and I have to CTRL+ALT+DEL and stop it from running. Does anyone know what is wrong?

brokenstove said:
I've recently run into a problem with explorer.exe taking up huge amounts of my cpu time. Even after a format and re-install of windows and all other software on my system, the problem still persists. I've used several adware detection programs to ensure that my system is clean, as well as Norton Anti-Virus.

When I look at explorer in the "Processes" tab of task manager, it's cpu usage will be at zero, then jump up to 60, then back down, then up again to 35 or whatever. It's really annoying.
Unless you can see something very oddly high with an unfamiliar running process amongst your processes via taskmanager, you may want to post a hijack this log here since you say you do use good good anti-spy stuff already.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online