Explorer.exe is wack.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

GORMO69

My explorer.exe does not want to cooperate with me. It "does" a combination of the feared "restarting" and "just shutting off and not coming back on."

R really don't know what to do as I have tried at least 20 or 30 of the things listed if you google "fix explorer.exe." Just tell me what you need to know.

By the way, give me links to anything you want me to download or something.
Thanks for prompt help!
I will reply within 24 hours to posts.
I will also post when this is resolved, because I know it annoys people, not knowing what the deal is...

Specs:
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
1 GB Ram
Pentium 4 2.0 GHz
(made in 2001)

Most problems with explorer are due to add-ons, like loaded dll's and context menu items that are pooorly written or defective.

So, one thing to do is to try removing or disabling some context menu items to see if that helps. That can be done within the settings of some of the programs that have entries there, or with ShellMenuView and similar programs.

Another to take a look at is Autoruns. It will show you all the hooked dll's in its explorer section. You can disable them, or better yet, remove as many as you can that you no longer want or need. Sometimes the entries just conflict with one another and too many makes that more likely.

Take a look at the Event Viewer to see what it says about the failures, and if a window pops up with errors, open up the section for more information about the error and what caused it, if that is available. It sometimes tells you exactly what dll led to the crash.

So let's say that it isn't explorer that's "wack", but something hooked to it. :D

Did you recently install any programs that installed any drivers? Like a CD burning software, Video Conversion, etc.

GORMO69

Most problems with explorer are due to add-ons, like loaded dll's and context menu items that are pooorly written or defective.
I'm not sure whether this is the case or not. I am not home now, but I will run the programs when I am.

I will post updated information when I get online.
========================================================
Did you recently install any programs that installed any drivers? Like a CD burning software, Video Conversion, etc.
I didn't install any programs (that I am aware of. I did notice viruses on my pc soon after this problem), but I do have quite a collection of not-so-legal movies and music on my pc.
=========================================================

Please post any ideas/and how to do them.

GORMO69

sorry guys, i am having other pc problems. I have it under control but it will take another day or 2 to get my pc operational.

GORMO69

ok guys, sorry I have not been active on my thread. My pc was giving me a lot of problems, including this one, obviously. I believe I have resolved this problem, because windows explorer (along with all of my icons and taskbar, part of explorer.exe), has been behaving normally for 30 minutes now.

I am going to leave this thread unresolved for about 24 hrs to make sure everything is ok.

I do not know how it got fixed, but when I ran the "ShellMenuView" and "Autoruns" programs, windows explorer came on and stayed on.

Thanks for all of the help Elvandil and Negotiator75!

Please leave replies of any tips just in case it is not fixed.

I will post more in detail after I mark this thread resolved.

GORMO69

Well, I don't believe that those programs do anything unless told to, but I suppose that simply accessing something can change it at times. So I hope this holds for you.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online