1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Explorer.EXE no Such interface supported

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Jonathanp55, Dec 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jonathanp55

Jonathanp55 Thread Starter

I am not sure what is going on or why this is happening, but when I right click the desktop and I click personalize, this message comes up saying No Such Interface Supported. The window title is Explorer.EXE, I did notice that the EXE is uppercase not lowercase, which seems wrong to me. Because of this, I cannot open windows update or Default programs or Action Center. If you click on those, nothing happens. What should I do? I tried re-registering the Dall files through command prompt and tried a system restore. I have windows 7 64bit, 4GB of ram, ATI Radeon Mobility HD 5650 switchable graphics. Should I use my Avast! to do a boot time scan if this is a virus? (I have attached a picture of the message)

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II N830 Triple-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 5 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 3
    RAM: 3834 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250, 320 Mb (switchable to high performance ATI mobility Radeon HD 5650)
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 454215 MB, Free - 138936 MB; D: Total - 22520 MB, Free - 3337 MB;
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 147B
    Antivirus: avast! Internet Security, Updated and Enabled

;)

Attached Files:

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Have you used any "tools" on the machine?

Have you tried a restore point from earlier?

You can access those things from the Control Panel.

3. Jonathanp55

The only tools that I have used is Advanced systemCare 5 Pro, and CC Cleaner. I did try a restore point, but it seems to always fail. A Recovery wont work because the recovery partition is messed up (So I have to order a recovery DVD).

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Both of those tools can do a great deal of damage to a system. They both include registry cleaners. Most people who use Ccleaner skip the part about "cleaning" the registry. There is no reason ever to do that. The other program also has a registry cleaner.

I'd suggest restoring the backups of the registry parts mercilessly hacked out by that butchering software. If that is not possible, you may have to try to restore an undamaged registry from a restore point.

The so-called "Registry Fix" and especially the "Deep Registry Fix" find "errors" that do not exist and then "fix" them by deleting anything the program does not understand, including many important keys. It is more likely to slow down your machine that help it since the system and programs then search in vain, 1000's of times each minute, for entries that no longer exist.

The registry is self-maintaining.

5. Jonathanp55

Hmm. I will try to do that. Should I not use any program like that? Or is other cleaning features other then the registry one ok. Is there anything else I can do?

6. maky2000

maky2000

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032957