1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Explorer.exe page fault

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by LadyLisa, Jan 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LadyLisa

LadyLisa Thread Starter

Win 98SE
    After uninstalling some software I deleted temp files and history, ran scandisc, defragged and rebooted. It boots up until just before the desktop and then I get an error message 'Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module explorer.exe at 0167:00401f31.........
    If I let it go through to the desktop then I only get the wallpaper and no icons or taskbar, that is when I get the error message.
    I can boot to safe mode and I've tried going back to a previous registry with no luck. Please help me...... what do I do?

2. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    First run msconfig and disable all of the startup programs and see if it boots into Windows normally.

Start>Run, key in msconfig and press enter. Click on "Selective Startup" and uncheck "Load Startup Group Items". Click on Apply and follow the prompts to restart.

If it boot into Windows without erroring, go back to msconfig, renable the startup program but befoer rebooting click on the startup tab and uncheck all but one program. Keep selecting one more and rebooting til you find the one that's causing the error.

3. LadyLisa

LadyLisa Thread Starter

Bryan
    I restart the PC I hold down the contol key and I get six choices, I go to #3, safe mode, I go there and I get the same error message. Now what do I do?

4. brianF

brianF

Try this

CAUSE
    This problem may occur if the Browseui.dll file is missing or damaged.

RESOLUTION
    To resolve this problem, use Method 1 and if that does not work, use Method 2.

Method 1: Repair Internet Explorer
    Restart the computer to a command prompt:

Insert the Windows 98 Emergency Startup disk in the floppy, and then start the computer.

-or-

Press the CTRL key while you start the computer, and then select Command Prompt Only from the Windows Startup Menu.

At the command prompt, type edit c:\windows\system.ini , and then press the ENTER to open the System.ini file in MS-DOS Editor.

To navigate through MS-DOS Editor, use the arrow keys. Under the section labeled [Boot], change the following line

shell=Explorer.exe
    to:
    shell=Progman.exe
    Press ALT+F to scroll down to Exit, and then press ENTER. Select Yes to save the Windows\System.ini file, and to return to the command prompt.

Restart the computer. The operating system starts Program Manager.

On the File menu, click Run , type control appwiz.cpl , and then click OK to open the Add/Remove Programs Properties dialog box.

On the Install/Uninstall tab, click Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 and Internet Tools , and then click Add/Remove .

Click the Repair Internet Explorer option, and then click OK . Complete the wizard to repair Internet Explorer, and when you are prompted to restart the computer, click Yes .

Repeat steps 1 through 5, with the following exception: In step 3, change the line "shell=progman.exe" to "shell=explorer.exe".

If the error persists, follow the steps in Method 2.

Method 2: Restore Internet Explorer
    Restart the computer to a command prompt:

Insert the Windows 98 Emergency Startup disk in the floppy, and then start the computer.

-or-

Press the CTRL key while you start the computer, and then select Command Prompt Only from the Windows Startup Menu.

At the command prompt, type edit c:\windows\system.ini , and then press the ENTER to open the System.ini file in MS-DOS Editor.

To navigate through MS-DOS Editor, use the arrow keys. Under the section labeled [Boot], change the following line

shell=Explorer.exe
    to:
    shell=Progman.exe
    Press ALT+F to scroll down to Exit, and then press ENTER. Select Yes to save the Windows\System.ini file, and to return to the command prompt.

Restart the computer. The operating system starts Program Manager.

On the File menu, click Run , type control appwiz.cpl , and then click OK to open the Add/Remove Programs Properties dialog box.

On the Install/Uninstall tab, click Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 and Internet Tools , and then click Add/Remove .

Click the Restore to previous Windows Configuration option, and then click OK . Complete the wizard to restore the earlier Windows configuration, and when you are prompted to restart the computer, click Yes .

Repeat steps 1 through 5, with the following exception: In step 3, change the line "shell=progman.exe" to "shell=explorer.exe".

NOTE : If both methods fail, you may have to completely reinstall the Windows 98 operating system. It should be noted that the reinstallation of Windows 98 may result in the loss of some Windows configuration information and/or data.

For additional information about installing Windows 98, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    Q188881 How to Install Windows 98: Helpful Tips and Suggestions
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q293174

5. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Sorry, had I known you couldn't get in through SafeMode, I would have suggested other things but in your first post you said you could get in through SafeMode.

Anyway, if you can't, Brian's method is your only chance.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

7. Dark Star

Dark Star

LadyLisa, Bryan, brianF and Rollin' Rog.........

Hey guys we tried, It was a long shot anyway but between me calling LadyLisa and explaining it to her so she would post it and the directions you gave not quite as clear to me via phone call from LadyLisa as they are now that I read them with my own eyes.

"At the command prompt, type edit c:\windows\system.ini , and then press the ENTER to open the System.ini file in MS-DOS Editor."

This would have been no problem as I was there quite a while trying, I bet I could have gone past that point if I'd not omitted typing in the word "edit" .............ahhhh what a difference one little word can make. :eek:

I guess you guys know what happens at the command prompt if one does not type in the word "edit" before typing in c:\windows\system.ini, don't you?
    hehehe, me too now.
    I just went ahead and reloaded windows and just finished downloading IE 5.5sp2.
    I suppose I really know where I went wrong, but in the end I learned something and it all worked out. :D

Many thanks all..............

DS

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64520

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice