Explorer.EXE vs. explorer.exe

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

oswazi

i'm gonna make this one a quick one but i can't seem to figure this out...

When i first boot my laptop i notice in the Processes that explorer is spelled as the following:
Explorer.EXE ....Now i also notice that when i hover over the taskbar for info it bubbles behind opened windows.

Ok...so then i go to spybot and look at tasks and end Explorer.EXE and it refreshes and explorer.exe and then the taskbar bubbles once hovered over appear over the windows.

I have checked out all spyware and virus software and they pull nothing.

an clues??

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
Do a file search,ensuring system and hidden files are selected, and look for Explorer.exe.

You should only find it in c:\Windows, system32\dllcache and ServicepackFiles\i386. (capitalization is not important)

If you wish, download install and run HiJackThis and post back the LOG file in a reply post for review.

oswazi

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.0 (BETA)
Scan saved at 1:17:53 PM, on 7/8/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Omi\Desktop\HiJackThis_v2.exe

O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxtray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxhkcmd] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxpers] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\RunOnce: [ShowDeskFix] regsvr32 /s /n /i:u shell32 (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\RunOnce: [IE7-10] rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSectionEx NR_IE7en.inf,AfterUserStart,,4,N (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\RunOnce: [ShowDeskFix] regsvr32 /s /n /i:u shell32 (User 'Default user')
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll

I might be a little crazy, but it's just something i noticed that the info bubbles onl come back when i end that first explorer and then it comes back lower case..

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
You aren't running any Antivirus?
You aren't running a firewall?
You "really" have no Windows Services active??? (Services.msc)

oswazi

I have the following installed:
Hijackthis
Spybot search and destroy
AVG anti-virus
ATF-cleaner
CCleaner

use firefox to browse

what windows services should be active? is that good or bad???

oswazi

so besides the Explorer.EXE and explorer.exe issue, about hovering over my taskbar, why pop the info infront of the taskbar when i restart explorer??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online