Explorer.exe wont start at startup! wants going wrong?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Oxymoronic

OK, my mates amd64 overheated the other day because he was doing some hard core 3d generation overnight with it, non stop. Its just got the new fan to keep it cool, but when it restarts it now gets to the desktop, and then stops, shows no icons or anything. so i diagnosed it was explorer because of this. I do ctrl alt del andtell it to start a new process called 'explorer.exe' and I get this message:
"This file does not have a program accossiation for performing this action/ Create an accossiation in the folder option pontrol panel"

So, whats going wrong?

Start>run> type cmd and click ok.

At the command prompt type assoc.exe=exefile and press enter.

Oxymoronic

mike5532g said:
Start>run> type cmd and click ok.

At the command prompt type assoc.exe=exefile and press enter.

start menu doesnt even come up. But i did it via ctrl alt del, and I just got he same message for cmd as well "This file does not have a program accossiation for performing this action/ Create an accossiation in the folder option pontrol panel". for a test I tryed solitare, and I got the same message again. Any ideas?

Oxymoronic

dr20 said:
Does your friend have the original XP disk? If so I've found the quickest way to solve a corrupted explorer.exe problem is to do a repair install. There's more info on performing a repair of XP without losing any installed programs or data here:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
cheers for that, hes getting the cd sent to him from back home, we'll try that when he gets it.

Let me know if it works, usually it does and beats doing a complete reformat.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online