explorer.exe + xvid problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

white0ut442

Hello everyone
I'm having a problem playing AVI files. Whenever I try to do ANYTHING with AVI files (right click, rename, delete, play, click ON it, etc.) explorer.exe crashes.
When I try to play, this happens..

To help protect your computer, Windows has closed this program.

The error report.. no clue..

Error signature
EventType : BEX P1 : explorer.exe P2 : 6.0.2900.2180 P3 : 41107ece
P4 : unknown P5 : 0.0.0.0 P6 : 00000000 P7 : 02fa2370
P8 : c0000005 P9 : 00000008

No clue what these are..

C:\DOCUME~1\JON~1.SAP\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER5e57.dir00\explorer.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\JON~1.SAP\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER5e57.dir00\appcompat.txt

Funny thing is, when I play these in Media Player Classic, they play fine and explorer doesn't crash.

Help anyone?

white0ut442

please someone?
not to be annoying, but this problem is annoying me and i can't fix it ><

white0ut442

Thanks so much for replying, you don't know how much I appreciate it.
I'm using windows media player 11, but half the time I can't even get it open before crashing. It's clicking on the videos that messes it up.

white0ut442

Okay, so I uninstalled ffdshow and reinstalled the Xvid codec... I'm still having the problem. This is getting weird

Sounds to me like ALOT of conflicting codecs.

A few suggestions, remove all your codecs and reinstall just the ones you need. I mean personally i would just download a program called: VLC Player. This has its own built in codecs so does not need system codecs.

If you don't want to do this or it does not solve the problem then i would simply disable the video preview in explorer.

1) Open a command window (Start->Run, type in 'cmd' hit enter)
2) Type in:
regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll
3) Hit enter

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online