1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Explorer has caused an error when i go to start menu

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by SHAYLA1974, Nov 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SHAYLA1974

SHAYLA1974 Thread Starter

Hi there,
    I was wondering if somebody can help me with a problem i have when trying to get into my start menu. I press the start button and I get an error message stating that " Explorer has caused an error in kernel32.dll please try restarting your computer" I have tried restarting my computer, but it keeps doing the same thing. I also get errors for shell32.dll. on some advice i downloaded ad aware to find spy ware on my computer and it found and got rid of the spy ware, however it didn't help with the dll problems I am still having when trying to get into my start menu. I am by no means computer literate, so please be specific and use simple terms. thank you so much:confused: :eek:

2. rhettman5

rhettman5

3. SHAYLA1974

Thanks Rhettman5 I'll try and let you know:)

4. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

What's on your start menu? Do you have a cascading History menu for instance? Can you right click on the start button and choose open? Sometimes corrupt shortcuts on the start menu can cause errors.

5. SHAYLA1974

I've ran the virus scan and none were found.Are there any other options.Your help greatly appreciated.:)

6. SHAYLA1974

I can right click on the start button, however it still sends the same error message when i open it. It also does this through the control panel:( . Any ideas how i canget into it or how i can find out about these corrupt short cuts??
    Thanks

7. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

I need a little information first please. What Operating system are you using? 95, 98 98SE or ME?

Do you have the exact error messages? When you say you get it trying to access control panel, are you doing that through My Computer? You can also go to the windows folder and try to access the start menu folder there. Do you get the same error if you try that?

8. rhettman5

rhettman5

To Shayla and Mosaic,

1st , shaila, Mosaic is much better than I at this, I have read his post and am sure this will be resolved, follow his advise

2nd , Mosaic, here is a link describing kernell 32 errors : http://www.all-windows.com/kernel32.html I will step aside and let you help, hope the link helps...Rhett

9. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

rhettmann5,
    Please don't step aside. You are doing great. The truth is that I did have something similar and was trying to see if this was the same. (In fact, I know what I know because I have the most irritating misbehaved computer this side of the garbage heap!) Perhaps this is a control panel file issue. At any rate, I didn't mean to step on your toes. I have seen that link and it is good. You have a long process of elimination here to pinpoint this.

10. SHAYLA1974

I am using ME. Yes I tried accessing it through my computer, and the same error message comes up, "Explore has caused an error in KERNEL32.DLL." It only gives me the option to close. When I do close it, it shuts down my desktop. It also says I can try re-starting my computer and when I do that it does the same thing all over again. I also get another error message that says"Explore has caused an error in SHELL32.DLL." Everything else seems to work fine but I can't get into my start menu.

11. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

12. rhettman5

rhettman5

K, Excuse me for bypassing you Shayla, but, Mosaic, since she is running ME cant she try to set her register back, not sure what it's called in ME, and see if that clears it up, just a thought...Rhett PS, you aren't stepping on my toes, I am here to learn, and help if I can, my toes are not a problem :)

13. SHAYLA1974

Mosiac and Rhett thanks so much for the help. I will try that tomorrow. Right now it is 1:30 AM and I am going to bed. I'm sure I'll be back again looking for more help. Thanks again

14. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

I use 98 SE. If there is a file corruption problem or an incorrect version of a file, scanreg /restore will not solve it. I have never used ME. I would try the directions in the link first. Then see what happens.

15. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

A good way to narrow things down is to see if they happen in safe mode. If yes, it is likely a registry or system file issue. If no, a program conflict or possibly a video driver problem.

You can start in safe mode by pressing and holding the cntrl key as soon as the computer begins booting. You should get a Boot Menu from which you can select safe mode.

And just when did this problem seem to begin? You may have the option of doing a registry restore or even a system restore in WinME.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60129

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice