1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Explorer ignoring 0 in filenames when sorting and..

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MouseJunkie, Jun 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MouseJunkie

MouseJunkie Thread Starter

Hi, I'm new to the forum and would like to thank everyone who has contributed for sharing their hard earned knowledge.

I noticed last night that my Explorer (WIN XP Home SP2) does nort sort files correctly when it's set to sort by name.

It ignores the number 0 at the beginning of filenames and places names with the same letters but have numbers at the end above those without numbers.

Example:

!1.txt
    1.txt
    01.txt
    2.txt
    03.txt
    file5.txt
    file.txt

when it should be:

!1.txt
    01.txt
    03.txt
    1.txt
    2.txt
    file.txt
    file5.txt

I have the habit of adding zeroes and other characters to the front of filenames so I can access them quicker. So this error has totally messed up my workflow. I only noticed this when doing a wildcard search for a particular file type and noticed that some files with zeroes in front where not on top when I sorted the list by filename :(

The only change I've made to the registry lately is to disable the updating of the last file access; which I've done before without problems. The only other thing is a Windows update via the MS Win.Update site.

I've tried finding a solution via Google but mainly came up with tips like how to display the detail view and some older Win98 stuff.

Thanks in advance.
    Peace, MJ

2. gurutech

gurutech

I personally use an underscore - _ - as a file prefix for files I need quick access to, but there is a feature in Windows where you can just type the first letter of the folder name or file name to go directly there.

3. MouseJunkie

Thanks, I am aware of that. However I already have lot of files with zeroes :(

The actual issue is why are the files displayed in the Explorer not sorted correctly by name anymore? The zeroes in front are being ignored and then theres the issue with characters and numbers at the end.

example: a.txt, b.txt, m.txt, m_1.txt, m1.txt, z.txt are sorted as:

a.txt
    b.txt
    m1.txt
    m_1.txt
    m.txt
    z.txt

Peace, MJ

4. MouseJunkie

I just noticed it's not just the zeroes, it's all numbers as well. The screenshot below shows a section of the Explorer... the files are sorted by name! :confused:

[​IMG]

Peace, MJ

5. Envyeyes

Envyeyes

Go to Microsoft and search for TweakUI.
    The newest version for WinXP includes an option to turn this feature on and off. The 'feature' is called "intuitive filename sorting". Once you have installed TweakUI, open it and go to Explorer, then scroll down in the box to the bottom. The next to last item is the one you need.
    Hope this helps.

6. Augie65

Augie65

7. MouseJunkie

Can`t beleive I never noticed it before -banging my my head on the wall with a "Doh!" each time- but then again I only started using XP personally a few months ago and the techs at work didn't have a clue either.

Guess I would have found it on google if I had left out the word "error" in my search as it wasn't one. Well ok, I should have remembered that with MS it's never a bug, it's a feature.:D

Thanks guys, I could kiss you. Especially as I thought this thread would go unanswered.:D :D :cool: :D :D

Peace, MJ

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/471982

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice