1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Explorer Illeagal Operation

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by MrsD, Jan 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MrsD

MrsD Thread Starter

Hi all.

I've been having problems for a while, including my IDE controllers not working. Finally got the bright idea to do a scanreg/restore and restored the registry back to a date I knew the computer was working properly. It loaded up, detected all my "new" devices and I installed the drivers for them. When I went to reboot, I get the Explorer has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down... It is also giving me this message when I try safe mode, which I could get into before. I am running Windows 98. Pentum II. Please help if you can.

Oh, P.S., I tried the scanreg/restore agian too and it fails to load the registry I choose now. Hopelessly stuck.

2. $teve

$teve

welcome to T.S.G mrsD.........could you give us the exact error message you get word for word please?

3. MrsD

MrsD Thread Starter

Hi $teve, thanks for responding. The error message is:
    This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. If problem persists, contact the program vendor.
    Explorer caused an invalid page fault in midule explorer.exe at 023f:f00401f31.

Resisters:
    EAX=00000000 CS=023f EIP=00401f31 EFLG=00010246
    EBX=00000001 SS=0247 ESP=005fff20 EBP=005fff28
    ECX=c1528b0 DS=0247 ESI=00000000 FS=2a77
    EDX=005fff30 ES=247 EDI=00000000 GS=0000
    Bytes at CS:EIP:
    8b 08 50 ff 11 8b 45 08 50 8b 08 ff 51 08 8b 45
    Stack dump:
    0040lee0 005fff30 005fff68 00405cac 00000000
    00000000 00000000 00000001 00404436 0059fc30
    00000008 00000000 00000000 0000ffff 7ff3lbbe

4. MrsD

MrsD Thread Starter

So I seemed to "fix" the illegal error problem by reinstalling Windows. Now I'm back to the problem I had before which is my computer freezes on startup unless I start in safe mode and disable the the secondary IDE controller. When I do that, it starts up fine, but as a result, I can't use my cd-rom. I think I saw that someone else is having the same problem, any ideas? I tried updating the driver and it tells me the one I'm using is just fine. Please help!

I have already tried removing it, restarting, and letting windows detect it. All I got then what the yellow ! next to both the primary and secondary IDE controllers.

5. deanas

deanas

Hi Mrs D
    As you've seen in the device manager you have
    a system conflict. You need to either correct this
    in the bios or in windows.
    Let's try windows first. Go to help files and type in:
    hardware conflict troubleshooter
    this will start windows help to guide through this.

6. MrsD

MrsD Thread Starter

Hi Deanas,
    Thanks for the reply. I went through the troubleshooter as you recommended and nothing in it seemed to apply to my situation. When I double click on the Secondary IDE controller, there is is no resources tab. (I have to disable the device while in safe mode just to get windows to load, a suggestion I received from the troubleshooter to begin with). Is this a hardware problem? Is this all boiling down to me needing a new hard drive?

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Is the device on the secondary ide just a cd-rom or is it a cd-rw? And is there anything else on the secondary ide? To check see my attachment.

Have you tried removing both the controller and the device on it and letting windows redetect?

Attached Files:

8. MrsD

MrsD Thread Starter

Hi Rollin' Rog,
    Just a cd-rom. It was never listed under the sec IDE controller as it is in your attachment, but I have tried removing them both and letting windows redetect them. As I said in an earlier post, windows detects the controllers, the parent device comes up fine, the primary and secondary controllers show errors (since I have to remove them all to remove one), but windows never detected the cd-rom again. As of now, only the secondary IDE controller seems to be causing problems. I have it disabled. The primary says it is working properly and showing no conflicts.

9. deanas

deanas

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

MrsD can you give us a little info on the PC model or the motherboard. Some use different IDE, BUS master controllers than the Windows standard ones. For example motherboards that use VIA or Ali chipsets need their own. Ali in particular, I think will not take the Windows controller.

11. MrsD

MrsD Thread Starter

Rollin' Rog,
    Can you tell me where to find the information you're looking for. My computer knowledge is pretty limited. I've had this computer for about 4 years and only just had problems recently. It says it has an Intel 82371AB/EB Bus Master IDE Controller. Is that what you're asking about? Thanks for helping out.

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Well that's the basic controller installed by Windows. Is this a Gateway by any chance? Whatever it is, do you have the name and model number of the computer itself?

It also might help to have a look at what the IRQ configuration is. To show this, run msinfo32

Click on "hardware resources" and "IRQs". Then click Edit>Select All>Edit>Copy and paste the copied text here.

13. MrsD

MrsD Thread Starter

It's not a Gateway. As far as the model # and all that, I'm not sure. I think Applied Computer Technology is who put it together. (We bought it off of someone).

0 System Timer
    1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    2 Programmable interrupt contoller
    3 (free)
    4 (free)
    5 Creative AWE64 16-bit Audio (SB16 compatable)
    6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    7 (free)
    8 System CMOS/real time clock
    9 (free)
    10 U.S. Robotics 56k Win INT
    10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    11 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB universal host controller
    11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    12 PS/2 compatable mouse port
    13 Numeric data processor
    14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    14 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
    15 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller

14. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Well that would look copacetic except for the secondary ide not being there.

Go back to the Device Manager and click on Hard Disk Controllers. Look at the properties>driver>driver file details for both the Primary and Secondar IDEs. They should be the same for both:

c:\windows\system\iosubsys\esdi_506.pdr
    c:\windows\system\vmm32\ios.vxd

Are they?

15. MrsD

MrsD Thread Starter

I was just looking at that, yes they are the same. I also tried a strategy I saw on the microsoft support page about compatability mode problems with PCI IDE controllers. It seemed to describe my problem. It had me go into regedit and delete the NOIDE value. Only mine didn't have a NOIDE or a value, so that didn't help. Sounds like you might be running out of ideas too. Thanks again for taking the time...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65595

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice