1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Explorer - Image File Lock

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by whmz, Nov 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. whmz

whmz Thread Starter

I have a bunch of .jpg files I transfered and deleted from a camera using the XP photo download wizard. They were viewable in the wizard and then in the destination folder. Then I cut and pasted them to a new folder. Now they aren't viewable in any viewer I have. I try to copy them to cd and they won't move from the temp file to the cd. They can't be deleted or moved. The file properties do not indicate any lock, although the summary info is blank. The error message received every time I click on the .jpg is "access denied."

2. Dan O

Dan O

Can you access the files from Safe Mode?

To access Safe Mode and depress F8 after the hardware is listed and a boot menu will be displayed and you can select Safe mode.

3. whmz

whmz Thread Starter

Thanks for your suggestion. Attempted to access the locked images from Safe Mode but with no success.

4. Dan O

Dan O

So in Safe mode you are encountering the same problem: "access denied" whenever you click on the .jpg files?

Are you using NTFS or FAT32 for the drive?

Also what version of XP and SP level are you running?

As there may be a utility to fix the problem, but we need the additional information.

5. whmz

whmz Thread Starter

Dan, thanks for thinking! Access denied under Safe Mode but only when the "moved" .jpg files are clicked, other .jg are viewable. This is an NTFS two Maxtor 80gb striped, XP Home SP2. Intermittent, seems only when files are moved. Coincidently, these drives will not defrag or scandisk, they go blue screen when 50% done.

6. Dan O

Dan O

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!