Explorer Information bar?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Lori 1

I'm new to XP, and somewhat confused. When I click on some pages, I get a pop up, that says, that the Exp. Info.Bar blocked something, it wants to download.This is the last one I got:

This sight might require the following ActiveX Control:Macromedia FlashPlayer7
from Macromedia,Inc. Click here to install.....

I don't know, if I am suppose to download these or not, could someone please explain this? :confused:

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
Flash Player is okay to download (y)

Some sites (with animations) or online games require it

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
It's probably warning you about an ActixeX object being downloaded to your computer.

Those can sometimes be malicious.

When your browser runs an ActiveX control, it's like running an executable program to your hard drive.

You wouldn't want to just download something random onto your computer without knowing what it is.

Lori 1

Hummm?? Ok.... I know some can be malicious, and I don't want to download something that, I don't know what it is, but I can't figure out, what these are, when it happens, there's only like thee choices, download ,not to download, and another choice. I am wandering if it would be wise, to just click the option, of do not show this.

Lori 1

So.... your saying if I download these, I won't have this problem?

Opp's I spoke before I looked at the links. :p

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
No, not necessarily.

This is how most spyware can get on a system.

ActiveX controls can make browsing more enjoyable by providing video, animated content, and more.
These programs can, however, malfunction or give you content you don't want.
In some cases, these programs can be used to collect information from your computer in ways you might not approve of, possibly damage data on your computer, install software on your computer without your consent, or allow someone else to control your computer remotely.

Given these risks, you should only install these programs if you completely trust the publisher.

Macromedia FlashPlayer in this case, is perfectly OK to have.

Lori 1

Whewwww...... I just installed the flashPlayer, lol and got back on TSG, and saw your message Cheese.

LOL see what you have to look forward to Cheese, :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online