"Explorer" Not Responding on Startup (Win98)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

8dalejr.fan

Upon bootup and when the desktop begins to load on my brother's Windows 98SE computer, everything will just stop/ freeze. Sometimes the computer will load just fine, but most of the time it is locking up.

A CTRL+ALT+DEL reveals that Explorer has stopped responding. Also, the Task Manager is populated with a whole bunch of Windows components that shouldn't be there- like rundll32, ddhelp, 2x loadpowerprofile, and ccpwdsvc (and Symantec isn't even installed anymore).

Usually the third reboot will let Windows load properly. But then the computer will just lock up again when the Internet is trying to load.

AVG scans don't turn up anything, and cybertech helped me make sure the HJT log was clean last time.

Any ideas of how to fix this? Should I post a new HJT log, if I can get Windows to load?

Safe mode works just fine- and since Explorer is the only thing running in Safe Mode, I don't think there is a problem with Explorer.

Should I open MSCONFIG in safe mode and list all the processes that are checked and those that are unchecked for review?

8dalejr.fan

Nobody have any suggestions? This thread has been bumped all the way down to page 3. :(

blues_harp28

Hi try f 8 at start up..choose..Step by Step Confirmation..
Click yes to all..Watch as it scans..you should see where it fails to load...
Whats checked to load at start up..would help..

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online