1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

explorer not working

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by cheryl57, Feb 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cheryl57

cheryl57 Thread Starter

Before I start - pardon my lack of computer correct lingo. Anyway, my problem is that Windows starts and loads and goes to the main screen without any problems or error messages. But then nothing works - the mouse doesn't even click. But if I go into safe mode, whatever can work in safe mode does work. It seems as though Explorer is not working but I can't figure out how to get it to work. Should I just reinstall Windows 98?

Also, the PCI communication device can't find a driver to make it work. Do I need this for the computer to work?

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I'm not sure what pci communication device you are referring to, but if it is the modem, that won't work in Safe Mode.

But since you can load windows in Safe Mode you can probably do some "clean boot" troubleshooting to sort things out.

In Safe Mode, go to Start > Run, enter msconfig and remove the check for "load startup items". Then restart Windows. If it loads "normally" there is something UNDER the startup tab causing the problem and you can run msconfig again and selectively enable/disable startups there to isolate it.

If it still does not load normally, you can also try unchecking, for test purposes the win.ini, system.ini, config.sys and autoexec.bat groups. You can leave the last two unchecked as Windows doesn't need these at all.

Still no luck ... re-enable what you previously disabled, and select the Advanced tab from msconfig. Try checking "load VGA 640x400" drivers. These are like Safe Mode video drivers. If Windows loads normally that way, you have a problem with the video driver installation.

Here are MS articles on both "startup" and "clean boot" troubleshooting for further details:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q188867

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;192926

By the way, WHEN was the last time this computer was known to work without these issues? And what changes were made since then?

3. cheryl57

cheryl57 Thread Starter

Thank you for your ideas. I will work on this tomorrow night. The last time this computer actually worked was quite a while ago and even though I just got another computer with XP installed on it which works great, it is nice to have more than one system working when all the kids are here. No one remembers how the computer stopped working but it has to be at least a year since it was working properly.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You're welcome and good luck. Had the problem started very recently, in the last 4 days, I would have recommended restoring an archived registry. However since Windows is starting without error messages, it is likely the archived registries are all bad too. Best to troubleshoot this with msconfig.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330229

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice