1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Explorer Problems

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by AElder, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AElder

AElder Thread Starter

Two problems that I think are related.

Every few days, my thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer disappear. It doesn't matter if I choose list view, small icons, medium thumbnails, etc. - I can't get a preview. Related - I can't seem to access the file properties. If I right click, it just spins for many minutes, then does nothing.

I've gone online and see that this is not a new problem for Windows 7 and that it might be that the thumbnail cache is being deleted. But, I can't do that fix since I can't access the file/fold properties.

I've tried various solutions, like repairing my registry and optimizing it and rebooting. That works for about a day, then things disappear again.

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

A Elder:
    Hello & Welcome to Tech Guy Forum.

Please run the forum's system info utility & post the results.
    http://forums.techguy.org/personal-news-announcements/948490-tsg-system-information-utility.html

When did the problem begin? When did the computer last work well? What changed; a hardware or software install or removal; a W7 update or update to your anti malware; an Adobe or Foxit Reader or Java update perhaps? Check your W7 update history.

Would you consider yourself a beginning, intermediate or advanced computer user?

Also, please provide the brand, model & model # of your computer.

Which program did you use for
    ?

What happens in safe mode?

The more information that you provide, the sooner will we be able to help you solve your problem.

RF123

3. rainforest123

rainforest123

4. AElder

AElder Thread Starter

I don't want to delete the thumbnail cache - I want to prevent it from being deleted, so that option does not work (link to reset).

My info:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 810 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 4 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 7927 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4200, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 702672 MB, Free - 315693 MB; D: Total - 12628 MB, Free - 2283 MB; K: Total - 953865 MB, Free - 635023 MB;
    Motherboard: FOXCONN, ALOE
    Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus 2012, Updated and Enabled

My computer is an HP P6230Y.

I noticed it starting to happen in early December after updating Win7. I don't know which update since there are usually a dozen or so each time. I tried uninstalling the updates since December, but that just seemed to screw up my registry. Worse than not getting my thumbnail preview is that there are times it will show progress of trying to show files on a drive (blue bar), but it will never finish and I can't see what's on my other drives.

The registry repair I use is AVGs PC Tuneup. I have not tried in safe mode. Since it takes forever to reboot, I try to avoid rebooting more than I have to.

I consider myself an intermediate user.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

By "fixing" your registry, you have damaged your system. Cleaners should never be used for any reason. System Restore can return an undamaged registry.

Your problem is most likely due to an unstable "hook" that is attached to explorer.exe. Trial and error, and knowledge of what was installed just preceding the problem, are the solution.

This might help:

http://forums.techguy.org/7676060-post4.html or Context Menu Repair

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087151

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice