1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Explorer wont Work/Cant get into Control Panel

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dtrulez, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dtrulez

dtrulez Thread Starter

Hi All,

First sorry if this is one of those disaster problems gone wild! But this one is puzzling me and im ussually happy to work through problems.

A freind of mine has a labtop and according to him he doesn't use it for much of nothing. But recently the labtop freezes as windows xp is at the loading screen. I saw it and it actually freezes within moments of the blue lines going across the screen in the little box.

Anyways, so I booted it in safe mode, now in safe mode theres no explorer bar at the bottom of the screen. used task manager to load explorer and it pops up for one second and dissappears.

Next, I went into msconfig and tried to check if there was anything in there that might trigger this affect. So I found two files which were called "[][][][].[][][]" im not sure how many boxes it made but I immediately unchecked those two. And I went on to uncheck a couple more like anti virus software and etc.

This time when it started up it actually went through pass the start up screen. He logged in for me and that started looking goood. But all of a sudden again no explorer bar and I could only work from task manager.

Hes running Windows XP on a P3 by the way. Anyways, if anyone has any ideas for me to try I would greatly appreciate it. What sucks to me the worse is, this is a labtop so I can't really use a bootdisk to help me tool wise.

I figure this may be some sick virus that I have no clue about cause im sure he doesnt update his Windows Service Packs.

2. unbidden

unbidden

Have you performed the obvious; virus and spyware scans?

Explorer bar? Do you mean the Task Bar?
    Task Bar Repair Tool

3. dtrulez

dtrulez Thread Starter

I didnt get a chance to do a scan because I was actually working and they called me into their office while I was a bit busy so I spent like 20 mins trying every quick fix. But I told him to let me borrow his labtop to fix at my house so i'll get it and try to scan it.

Also, you're right when I was saying explorer I mean task bar. Is this Task Bar disappearing problem, common?

4. unbidden

unbidden

Yes, the problem makes an appearance on troubleshooting forums regularly. But be sure to run the scans first.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484811

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice