Export Address Bk on Outlook Express

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rletter

I have Outlook Express 5.5 and am trying to back up the address book. I choose file,export,address book, Microsoft exchange and then look for a *.wab file. I find it but it is empty with no addresses. I also find the UserMPS file but it is empty. Where is the address list. Thanks

rletter

No *.pab files. I checked files asscociated with address book(control panel,view, files)and only wab was listed. I find one wab file listed as UserMOS but open it and it is empty.
Thanks

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
I have Outlook Express 5.01 but I believe the process is the same.

Open your Address Book and select File>Export>Address Book(WAB)>Browse to your Desktop, give the file a name, hit Save and your backup will be right where you saved it.

On the other hand, you may want to save the address book as a .csv file so it would be compatible with any version of Outlook Express version 5.0 or higher.

To do this, use the File menu in Outlook Express instead of within the Address Book.
File>Export>Address Book>Text File (Comma Separated Values)>Export>Browse to your destination>Name the file>Save>Next>This step you can choose the fields you want to export>Finish, you should receive a message box to the effect the Address Book was successfully Exported.

[This message has been edited by EAFiedler (edited 02-20-2001).]

rletter

Thanks,I have tried the export. In 5.5 I can export a csv file to any place I want but when I try to export an address file it does not give me a browse feature to select file and copies the address book back on itself. I have searched in find for *.wab to see if it placed it somewhere but all I get is the file mentioned in my first post. I wish I had 5.0 back-it worked better.

rletter,

Your address book may have been renamed with a "wa~" extention when you attempted to export/import (This happened to me using OE 5.5).

Do a search for "*.wa?" If you find one, rename it to *.wab (Note: If a *.wab file already exists with the same name then, rename the existing *.wab file to *.old before renaming the *.wa~ file).

You can copy the *.wab file to a floppy and use the File>Import>Address Book feature to import it.

------------------
All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand.

rletter

Sorry it still doesn't work. I found the wa~
and the wab and renamed the wab old and the wa~ wab but it still is blank and export still just replaces the address book in OE instead of exporting. Now the CSV doesn't export right-just a blank Excel.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online