1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Export all Outlook e-mails to new address

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by holymoly, Jan 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. holymoly

holymoly Thread Starter

I am in the process of changing DSL providers and I am in the overlap period where both
    services are still active.

Currently I am using the new DSL provider to access the internet so the current Outlook XP has a lot of emails in the old DSL email address. So right now nothing is being updated which is OK.

To transfer all these emails in Outlook to the new Outlook for the new email address, there is a process to follow.

I believe I need to export really the inbox to a file, then change my account to the new email address with the incoming/outcoming settings and then important the saved file, right?

2. This1Guy

This1Guy

Hi, holymoly:

There are many ways to do it. Let me tell you how I do it.

First of all, you should know that you can use Outlook to receive your email from the old email address even though you are connected to the internet using the new DSL service. email is picked up from a server, just like any internet page. That said, here are two ways to do it:

1. The "easy" way: Create both email accounts in the same instance of Outlook. When you start the program, it will pull your email from both of them into your email box. You do this in Tools>E-mail Accounts or in Tools>Options, depending on which version of Outlook you have. Tell me if you need more detail.

2. The "portable" way, which is also good for taking your messages from your old computer to your new computer:
    a- Open Outlook with the old email account defined
    b- Pull all your email from the old DSL provider into your inbox
    c- Create a separate data file using Tools>Options>Mail Setup>Data Files>Add
    d- When defining it, choose for that file a location within My Documents and a name that you can remember
    e- In the window called "Personal Folders", make sure you give it a name different from Personal Folders
    f- Move all your messages from the inbox to the new folder that Outlook now shows you
    g- log out of Outlook with the old email account
    h- log into Outlook with the new email account
    i- Repeat steps c and d, but instead of giving it a new file name, choose the file you created in step d
    j- That's it. Now your Outlook with the new account has a new folder with the messages from your old account.

Additionally, if you ever want to back up your email or need to move it to a different computer, you just need to copy the file you created in step d, and repeat steps c and d to recover it in a new environment.

Hope this helps. If anything is not clear, just let me know and I'll explain in more detail.

If you do need additional help, please give me the list of options that appear in Outlook in the pull down menu for Tools.

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You don't need to do anything. All your old e-mails will stay in your Outlook PST file. Once you change your e-mail address, messages sent to that new address will then also be added to that same PST file.

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You will need to also change your POP and SMTP servers, User Name and Password. Basically the only thing you will keep as the same is your PST data file.

5. holymoly

holymoly Thread Starter

Double Helix you are accurate.

Thnaks all.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

So you only had to change your e-mail address? Nothing else?

7. holymoly

holymoly Thread Starter

No, I follwed the first answer and created a new personal Folder but I don't believe it was necessary.

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

So after changing to a new DSL provider, your e-mail servers remained the same?

9. holymoly

holymoly Thread Starter

No

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

So then if all you changed was your e-mail address and not the new servers and account name, how did it work after changing to the new ISP if all that got changed was your e-mail address.

11. holymoly

holymoly Thread Starter

I changed the incomin/outgoing servers, email address and login

But I am not getting the new email into outlook

what's wrong?

I got it, the incoming instructions were misstyped

thanks

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

That's exactly what I mentioned. The one post only mentioned that yYou need to change you e-mail address. You need to change more than that. You need to change your POP & SMTP servers, your user name and password. Did you change your user name and password? Also some ISP's require you to also authenticate for the outbound e-mail.

13. holymoly

holymoly Thread Starter

Yes, all that. changed email address, POP & SMTP and user name & password, but no authentication.

I have switched to Dry DSL & VOIP, so goodbye landline and hopefully lower bills,

Cheers

14. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

So is it now working with the new servers?

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/532306

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice