Export E-mail contacts from Windows Live Mail to Hotmail

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jorgon

clearlyclueless said:
I'm trying to transfer my Windows Live Mail e-mail contacts to Hotmail. I've converted them all to a csv file (5.65kb). When I import them to Hotmail only the names get transferred.....not the e-mail addresses. Any ideas? Thanks
This thread was previously closed due to lack of answers, however I found a solution.

When importing a csv file into Hotmail, the email address field is expected as "E-mail Address" however in the csv file created by Windows Live Mail the email address field is "Email Address".

Note the missing hyphen. This means that the email address is not transferred over to Hotmail.

The solution is to edit the csv file using Notepad - simply add the hyphen to the top line of the csv file, save the file and import it into Hotmail.

If you have the same problem with other fields, a useful test to see what field names Hotmail expects is to export a contact from Hotmail and then inspect the csv file which is created using Notepad.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online