Export/Import of OE folders

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wolfworx

A friend has just set up a new system in Win2000 using OE6.

He has several message folders in OE6 on his old machine running Win98.

How does he transfer the desired message folders to the new machine? I have tried to do this without success. Microsoft seems to have made this operation very difficult. I have done this procedure often with Netscape message folders and it is relatively simple.

I can find the Outlook Express dbx files associated with the desired folders on the Win98 machine but how do I get their contents to the new computer???:confused:

emails in folders
you need to recreate the folders on the new PC
then transfer the .dbx files
caution: it will replace any existing .dbx files of the same name

so obviously if you have email in the inbox and you replace it with the old inbox.dbx - the new ones are toast

at this point (already using OE on the new PC) i'd transfer the old ones to a new folder - 'transfer', which will create transfer.dbx on the old PC
copy it to floppy

then create a 'transfer' folder in the new PC
close OE
then transfer the old transfer.dbx to the new machine

see tomsterdam's OE site for more - and the use of OE BackUp to do the same thing, including importing the address book

it's easier to do it all at once with OE BackUp before you start using OE on a new PC, but the manual way works fine too

note: remember the default security setting in OE6 which disables viewing/receiving attachments
- go to the tools, options, security tab and uncheck the box if that's what you want

wolfworx

Thanks for the help. I did a test on two of my computers and got a successful transfer.

For those other curious readers, here is a Step by Step.

1. Locate the desired folder file on the old (Win98) computer.
Where are the OE message files stored?
Click Tools| Options| Maintenance| Store folder to see the location of your current store root. To find files not in the store, click Start| Find| Files or Folders and search for files of type *.dbx.
Path will be similar to:
C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Identities\{709F8F8C-QA7E-3K5D-21A9-1E336B518415}\Microsoft\Outlook Express
2. Copy the desired *.dbx file(s) to a floppy disk.
NOTE: Large folders may exceed the 1.4 MB capacity of a floppy. If so you may need to either break a large folder into smaller folders, put them on a zip drive, burn a CD, or network the two computers.
3. On the new (Win2000) computer, in OE, create a new folder with the same name as the folder you wish to transfer. Copy any message to this new folder. Close OE.
4. Find the *.dbx folder location on the new (Win2000) computer.
Again, find where the OE message files stored.
Click Tools| Options| Maintenance| Store folder to see the location of your current store root. To find files not in the store, click Start| Find| Files or Folders and search for files of type *.dbx.
Path will be similar to:
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{72BK8F8C-8D7E-4C5D-9F82-1E336B518D17}\Microsoft\Outlook Express
The *.dbx file you created in step 3 should be here.
5. Copy the *.dbx file from the floppy (or other media) to the location found in step 4 overwriting the existing file.
6. Open IE the folder should now contain the messages from the old computer.

glad it worked!

OE BackUP is still worth a look - for the backup of all your settings, address book, and emails
- in case OE gets screwed up
- and very easy to use as a full transfer from old to new machine

and DBXtract (also linked form Tomsterdam's site above) is great for seeing what's in thos .dbx files, and pulling out the ones you want

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online