1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Export/Import or Copy

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by dianerowley, Mar 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dianerowley

dianerowley Thread Starter

I am trying to help an elderly couple with their computer. I want to copy both their Favorites and address book onto a disk for them that they can then import to another computer when they get home.

Is it best to export/import onto a disk or just to copy it to a disk. I also want to make sure that the export/import process is a copy and doesn't remove it from the original pc.

Any step by step directions would be appreciated as I've never done this before.

Thanks in advance.

Diane

2. j neu

j neu

You can just use export. It won't remove them from the pc. When exporting browse to floppy a drive. Then you can import the same way.

3. dianerowley

Thanks for the info. I was afraid by exporting that I would be removing and not just copying.

I got so far in the process but am stumped. I wanted to perfect this on my pc before attemping to do it on their pc. I exported the address book to a disk. I went into "My Computer" and verified the file was there.

But when I wanted to see what the process was to import, and I go to my disk drive, it's blank. It doesn't show that the address book is there. What am I missing.

Also, will it know to put it in their Outlook Express Address Book on their other pc.

Thanks in advance.

Diane

4. j neu

j neu

If you go into outlook express and you import it will put it there. Ok you see the file on the disk in my computer but in outlook import and into floppy a it isn't there. Maybe someone will jump in to help. Maybe you tried this . Another disk and try it again. What is your os. I am looking at 98 and xp and I just did my computer and it was pretty easy to import and export. Not sure why you don't see it on disk.

5. dianerowley

Yes I exported my address list in Outlook Express to a 3-1/2" disk. I then went to "My Computer" and verified it was there. Yep. So I then went back to Outlook Express and tried to import the address list. When I browse to the 3-1/2" disk, it's not there but via "My Computer" it is.

So what am I missing.

6. Ratboy

Ratboy

dianerowley,

When you Export the OE Address Book, it saves it with the extension .CSV (Comma Separated Values).

When you Import an address book, you have a choice of selecting either Address Book or Other Address Book.

If you select Address Book, then it looks for a file with the extension .WAB, which it does not find. Instead, select Other Address Book, then select Text File (Comma Separated Values) and browse to the 3-1/2" disk. You should see it.

7. dianerowley

Thanks so much. It worked. The step by step instructions helped tremendously.

Diane

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!