Export MSN Explorer e-mails to Windows Mail

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DKTaber

Friend has been using MSN Explorer with Hotmail for 7 years on a now very old Dell Inspiron. Recently bought a Toshiba laptop (Vista OS, unfortunately). She wants to export e-mails in some local folders on the old (XP) laptop to her Windows Mail (WM) account on the Vista computer en mass.

We know we can forward every e-mail to her new account, but we're talking about 1,000+ e-mails. Many have attachments (pictures). Unfortunately, Hotmail saves all e-mails with the extension ".email". WM messages are saved with the extension ".eml", so it's not possible to import the messages directly into WM.

Does anyone know of a way to export a large number of e-mails from MSN Explorer in the ".email" format so they can easily be imported into WM?

Triple6

Rob
Hotmail and email viewed through MSN Email/Explorer is web based. There's no need to export/import the email. Simply log into www.hotmail.com on any computer and you'll see the same messages and contacts.

You can however setup the Hotmail account in Windows Live Mail, don't use Windows Mail it sucks, and have the email stored locally on that computer if you so choose. Windows Live Mail: http://download.live.com/wlmail

DKTaber

Hotmail and email viewed through MSN Email/Explorer is web based. There's no need to export/import the email. Simply log into www.hotmail.com on any computer and you'll see the same messages and contacts.

You can however setup the Hotmail account in Windows Live Mail, don't use Windows Mail it sucks, and have the email stored locally on that computer if you so choose. Windows Live Mail: http://download.live.com/wlmail
It is not mail on Hotmail's server that's the problem; it's e-mails she has saved on her old laptop in folders that she created.

Triple6

Rob
With MSN Explorer? Have you logged into Hotmail to see if they are there? What kind of email address or service is associated with MSN? Or are you referring to Outlook Express?

DKTaber

With MSN Explorer? Have you logged into Hotmail to see if they are there? What kind of email address or service is associated with MSN? Or are you referring to Outlook Express?
The e-mail domain is @hotmail.com; MSN Explorer is only the on-computer e-mail client. I haven't checked to see if the stuff she's squirreled away in the special folders are on the server or only on her computer, but my recollection is that the header above those folders said "Folders on your computer". Some of the actual emails in those folders may still be on the server, but my guess is not many, because they go back as far as 7 years. I don't know what Hotmail's storage limit is, but can't imagine they'd let her keep everything she's ever received and sent on their server.

The real issue here is the extension on Hotmail's vs. Windows Mail's message files. Hotmail uses ".email"; WM (and OE) use ".eml". WM refuses to open .email files. I know there are ways around this, but it still involves a horrendous amount of forwarding and extension renaming. I'm looking for a way to force WM to import all the e-mails en mass.

Triple6

Rob
Is there a backup option in MSN Explorer? Is so make you can use that to transfer the messages to another computer, but I guess you'd still have to use MSN on the new computer.

DKTaber

Is there a backup option in MSN Explorer? Is so make you can use that to transfer the messages to another computer, but I guess you'd still have to use MSN on the new computer.
I don't know, but doubt it. I know of no e-mail client that has a built-in backup. Can't use MSN Explorer with Vista. It's my understanding that MSN Explorer will soon be dropped by M$. Hotmail, too, probably by or before the beginning of 2010.

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Hi DKTaber

You should be able to mass rename the file extensions of the .email files to .eml, then drag the .eml files into Windows Mail.

Or do a Google search for Batch file extension rename

Try renaming the .email extension to .eml for one message first, then try dragging it into Windows Mail.
If that works then mass rename the other messages.

Let us know if that works for you or not.

DKTaber

Hi DKTaber

You should be able to mass rename the file extensions of the .email files to .eml, then drag the .eml files into Windows Mail.

Or do a Google search for Batch file extension rename
Having been away from DOS for so many years, I had forgotten the ren command. That might be a big help in "transforming" the .email files to .eml. It still means you have to do one by one by one file. Pain in the a**. Why doesn't M$ provide a program to convert THEIR Hotmail messages to THEIR Windows Mail??

I'll see if I can make it work, and report back on success or failure.

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
The ren command will change All the files containing the .email extension in the folder at the same time.
ren *.email *.eml

With Vista, open the folder of *.email files,
Shift, Right click, select: Open Command Window here

Then all you have to key in is:
ren *.email *.eml

DKTaber

The ren command will change All the files containing the .email extension in the folder at the same time.
ren *.email *.eml

With Vista, open the folder of *.email files,
Shift, Right click, select: Open Command Window here

Then all you have to key in is:
ren *.email *.eml
Yes, I know. I wasn't clear about the "one by one". I was referring to having to forward all the emails to her new address, most of them as attachments to an e-mail (as many as I can get away with up to the 10MB limit on single e-mail size that I assume Hotmail imposes), then save the attachments to some folder, repeat that many times until all the files are transferred, then execute the ren command, then move the files into the several special folders she has set up in Windows Mail. Long, not-fun process. I think M$ should have provided a small program that would automatically import Hotmail or MSN messages into Windows Mail when Vista came out. All three are their products.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online