1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Export Word Form Data into Excel Workbook

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by infamously, Jan 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. infamously

infamously Thread Starter

I have been given a last minute assignment to create a survey to send to a few end users and I want to compile the data of all the forms I receive into one excel workbook. I tried a few macros, but they aren't 2010 macros and so I am running into issues; I just don't have to time to re-write and could use a little assistance. I think the main difference is that I am using radio buttons instead of text fields.

ALSO I want to automate the entire thing. Meaning I want to open the workbook and run the macro to pull unprocessed forms from one folder, scan for data, import data, and then move them to another folder for archiving.

Also, in my form I don't think I made the comments section into a text field; I am sure I am going to have to correct that in order to capture the data... Right now I am too tired to think on it. At the end of each section I there is a comments field and I want to collect that data onto different sheets in the workbook. I already labeled the sheets.

I have attached the drafts for reference; I only shortened it for upload; the original draft has about 30 questions total. I need to get this done by 1/15/15 so that I have time to receive and compile data by 1/20/15.

Please help!

Attached Files:

2. draceplace

draceplace

Welcome to TSG infamously,
    Your survey looks pretty straight forward. I'm going to recommend you take a look at Survey Monkey. We have a paid account there but there is a free version that may work for you(never used the free version myself). You would then simply email the Survey link to the targets and Survey Monkey will compile and you can download to excel.

With your short development period you might be ready to go in a hour. I would make a test one (4 or 5 questions), email the link to a few people and see if the results meet your needs.

We have been using it for years not only for surveys but for class and seminar registration by wording the survey with class times and dates. Even what kind of sandwich you want for lunch.

3. infamously

However, Big Boss Lady said no. She wants it all in house...hence my problem. :-(

4. draceplace

draceplace

I would make one on Survey Monkey(SM) and send her a link explaining how much more professional and efficient it is before giving in. Passing word documents around is so clunky old school. Word documents with macros to outside users is an iffy practice as well.

I suspect in the free version you don't get conditional question (If yes then answer these three) and probably get a few Survey Monkey logos.

We have one site where workers don't use pcs so they take print outs, get them manually filled in then key the answers into Survey Monkey. You have to use a Kiosk setting in SM that allows multiple answers from the same PC. How many are you going to survey?

I don't have anything offer on using Macro's in Word. found this download at Office.MicroSoft I have no idea if it will help. SharePoint and Adobe appear have better survey options.

5. Keebellah

Keebellah Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Hans
    If every PC has Excel you can also create the survey in Excel, will need some coding and hiding and the results can either be mailed as csv, excel or other and all you have to is collect these.
    If the mail client is Outlook you could even have a macro get the answers and process them too.
    A little more work and 'in-the-house' ... -> boss-lady happy:)

6. infamously

Keebellah, that sounds like a plan, but I will need help with that. All PCs have the MS Office Suite, so I'm good with excel to everyone via Outlook. Because of the nature of the survey for end users Big Boss Lady doesn't want this on a survey site; hence why it has to stay in house...so your idea would be awesome...

What do I need to do with what I have now? (I need to do it by end of week.)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140792

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice