1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Exporting an Outlook 2002 e-mail list to Outlook Express

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Crash7, Sep 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Crash7

Crash7 Thread Starter

I need to send an e-mail group list created in Outlook 2002 to a user who has Outlook Express (I think it's ver 5).

I tried exporting it as a .pst file but his computer opened it in Wordpad and garbled everything.

Is it OK to send it as a .pst file? If so, what's the proper way for the user to import the e-mail list onto their computer?

If .pst files aren't the way to go, what is the best export/import process?

2. Sponsor

3. rkselby98

rkselby98

It was okay to send the pst file. You have to remember that the pst file holds all the personal information for that profile. It holds folder information, personal information, ISP information and so on.

Where the other person went wrong was trying to open it. Instead of opening it try to import information such as the folder he/she needs or what other information they might need.

This should work once they have the pst file on their computer, just open Outlook Express or the other way around and import the folders they have to have.

4. Crash7

Crash7 Thread Starter

Does that mean my personal information, or that of the individuals within the group list? I'm guessing it means my personal information.

What is the best way to get the group list to the user so they can import it, without xferring personal info?

Thanks much for your help.

5. rkselby98

rkselby98

That means all the information you put into Outlook to set it up to use it.

What I would do is this.

Open Outlook Express and import that one folder to Outlook Express.

Then you can send the dbx file to them.

The dbx file in Outlook Express only contains what is in that folder.

Then can then open that file by importing it into their Outlook Express and then into Outlook if they want.

This would keep your personal information from going anywhere.

All information in Outlook is contained in the one filie. Outlook Express breaks that files up into many files and keeps everything seperate from what I can tell.

Other may know a little more about this but this is the best I can explain it.

6. Crash7

Crash7 Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone who is helping with this. I'm running into a problem with compatible formats to export and import.

Outlook XP only lets me export as one of the following:

CSV (DOS or Windows)
    TSV (DOS or Windows)
    dBase
    Access
    Excel
    FoxPro
    Outlook .pst

In Outlook Expresss if I choose to import a Windows Address Book it only accepts a .wab file. Outlook XP doesn't create a file with this extension, therefore I have nothing to import.

If I choose another Address Book (within Outllook Express) to import I don't have any compatible options. The closest choice is a text file (using comma separated values), but it doesn't import correctly.

It's not letting me import a folder, so I really don't know how to accomplish that. You have mentioned to import and open the folder but unfortunately I can't get to that point.

I must be missing something here or doing something wrong. I greatly appreciate any help. This issue is really starting to bug me.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/96008