1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Exporting and automation help

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by jellis1010, Jan 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jellis1010

jellis1010 Thread Starter

hi all first time here and need some assistance.
    I have a report that is pulled together thru and placed into a workbook in excel, I need to see if there is a way to export 4 cells of information to a new outlook message every hour. I need to see if this is possible by script or other methods..
    Thanks for all your help

2. Meltdown

Meltdown

The MS automation file may get you started. Check out articles Q302460 and Q260410 in the Knowledge Base

3. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Hi, Jellis. Welcome to the board.

Meltdown is referring to Microsoft's Technet, which can be found here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;kbhowto&sd=TECH&ln=EN-US&FR=0

You may want to bookmark that site.

Once you're at that site, you can type the Q-number into the box at the top left and it'll show you that article.

Using automation is one hellatious (did I spell that right?) thing to have to learn. And you'd be hard-put to learn it within a reasonable amount of time. Not only would you have to learn the basics of Excel VBA, but of Outlook as well. Excel is the most commonly automated Office application, and Outlook is probably the least common--maybe PowerPoint, hee hee.

Anyway, I just happen to have some code that will allow you to select cells and hit a button. Those cells are copied to a new Workbook, saved, and then emailed as an Excel file attachment to the person defined, using subject, etc., all defined in the code.

However, it is not automated to occur every XX time increment. I've just asked my husband (very nicely, for your sake) to change the code in that workbook to allow you to choose 4 specific cells (so you don't have to select them every time) and get it to work on a time increment. He won't be able to get it to work if you have the Excel file closed (others could definitely do this), but he can likely get it to work off the system clock and do it for you once per hour.

Let's see what he comes up with, k? Might take a day or two, or even more. It'd be helpful if he had your email address to. You can email him at [email protected] to give him all your specifics. That'd be great. When we're all done doing it, we can post the final code here for all to see.

4. jellis1010

Thanks for the quick responses.. I would be very interested in the code. i have taken a VB class, not the greatest.
    I will send you my e-mail addy and wait for a resonse.. thanks again..

Oh and one more thing to add. I have thought about using recorder and taking the strokes needed and opening outlook and al that then setting up with the scheduler that may be a work around to this, but am interested in which of these methods you would think be more dependable..

5. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Got it, jellis, but still no specifics:

What 4 cells do you want to send?
    Should they just be sent as a message or as an Excel attachment?
    Will you always be using Outlook to send it?

6. jellis1010

oops sorry about that here is some more details..
    the cells will be in this order if possible..
    n2, n5 , k2, k5...
    yes I will be using outlook to sent this information, and needs to be sent as text.....
    One more thing to note is that this is pulling from a database, so I have to click the update option and wait for the new info to update...
    Thanks again for your help

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111886

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice