1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Exporting certain feilds from 1 Excel Workbook and importing into Another

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Waats, May 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Waats

Waats Thread Starter

Hello!

I'm in a bit of a pickle. There is a form at my work that our clients fill out to request access to a meeting room. There is another form that I myself have to fill out after the client has used the space as a "report" of what happend in case there are any problems. The information from the first form needs to be exported and populated onto the second form. The second form has some extra fields on it for myself to fill in as the report side of it.

I have Excel and Access.

They are basically both the same form, just the field locations have changed and there are some extra fields at the bottom for myself to fill in.

What would be the best way of doing this?

Thanks in advance for any help receieved!

2. Charles_Bukowski

Charles_Bukowski

I think that the easiest way to do this would be to import the other worksheet into excel. And then either link the worksheets together and bring the information that you need or if you need it to find things based on some other criteria then you use a vlookup to pull in the information that you need.

3. slurpee55

slurpee55

Either Excel or Access would do this well, so it depends on what you are most comfortable with.
    In Excel, I would put copies of both worksheets into a new workbook (and file the originals - but I am a packrat). On a third worksheet I would build a new form with references to the data you need to pull from the other two worksheets. Save your first version as a template and every time you need to make a new report, just replace the old data on the two worksheets with the new, save and refresh the report page and everything should be ready. In Access, just import (or link, but I prefer to import) the data into a new database, making two tables. Build a query tying the two tables together so that you have all the data you need from the two tables. You can then build a report (or, although it is not what they are traditionally for, a form, if you just want to show the data for one client at a time) that will show all the fields.
    If you have any questions, just post a sample of your spreadsheets (nonsense data is fine) and we will work on it for you.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/571065

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice