1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

exporting data from old desktop to new laptop

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Crucinator, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crucinator

Crucinator Thread Starter

I just bought a new dell laptop, and want to export all my old music, software, etc from my old desktop to it. I'd say it will be about 7-10 gigs of data. The laptop is winXPpro, and the desktop in win98SE. I have a cross-linked cable, so I plan on just hooking the two computers up to each other with it and transfering the data directly between them. I have some network experience, but it's nothing special. I was wondering if someone can give a basic walkthrough of what I should do to transfer the files. I should mention that the desktop has bad sectors on it, and does not run too smoothly (that's why I want to move the data). Thanks.

2. Mithrilhall

Mithrilhall

Computer #1:
    IP Address: 192.168.1.100
    Subnet Mask: 255.0.0.0

Computer #2:
    IP Address: 192.168.1.101
    Subnet Mask: 255.0.0.0

Turn off all firewalls.
    Can you ping one computer to the other? If so they are communicating fine.

Moving your MP3s and most of your other files should be easy. When it comes to moving programs that are install is where the problems usually occur. While most programs need their respective registry settings to work some do not. If you really want to move the programs that are installed you might want to try http://www.alohabob.com/. I've never used it but I've heard good things about it.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

There is a bit more than just setting the IP address for a network.

Both computers need to have these same workgroup name.

Just because it is a bit easier to do, I would configured the Win98 to do the file sharing and connect to it from the XP computer.

So on the Win98 computer, in the networking section, you need to add file sharing.

See http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/sharing.htm for more details if you need it.

Then just share the root of the C: drive

From the XP computer you should then be able to map a drive to the Win98 computer's shared C: drive and copy what you want.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324395

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice