1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Exporting Outlook Express 6.0 email files

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by cameronfrancis, Jan 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cameronfrancis

cameronfrancis Thread Starter

I have a very large folder in my Outlook Express 6.0 filled with emails that I would like to export to be able to open in Open Office 2.3.1.

I need someone to walk me through this as I am getting the response "error occured while initializing MAPI"

THANK YOU!

2. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor (deceased)

Hi cameronfrancis,
    Try removing OE as the default mail program.
    Open Internet Options by either Control Panel>Internet Options or Tools>Options on the IE browser.
    Go to the Programs tab and select a mail program other than OE. Apply and OK.
    Open OE and try the Export.
    To put OE back as default, reverse the above, or in OE Tools>Options>General tab>Make Default button next to This application is the default mail handler
    T.:)

3. cameronfrancis

Thanks for the suggestion......however it did not respond any differently. I am open for any more ideas!!!

4. throoper

Let me check at MS to see what they have.
    T.

5. throoper

Looks like the same advice, just the longer version.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/179637/en-us
    Only other thing I can think would be to break up the folder into smaller folders and try it.
    Best I've got at the moment.
    T.

Just realized this. Are you trying to export into Open Office?
    OE will only Export to Outlook or Exchange.
    You may have to copy and paste into .doc's. I don't have Open Office so I don't know how that will work.
    If no one comes up with anything, you could have this moved to one of the Software forums.
    The folks over there are more knowledgeable on business apps.

6. cameronfrancis

Okay, it looks like I don't have Outlook on my computer. Uh, don't laugh...is that a component of Microsoft Office? Could you please tell me what that is and what version i would need?

(I am great with hydrolysis of triglyerides, not so great on this stuff.....thanks!)

7. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe

Transcend can likely do it, but it's about $50.

8. throoper

I won't laugh at you if you won't laugh at me for being too dense to understand what you were asking to do.
    This morning I understand, finally.
    You need to be able to use a doc reader in Open Office to view and possibly edit e-mails.
    Outlook wouldn't be any use for that as the files would just be PST instead of DBX. You still wouldn't be able to read them outside the mail program.
    And yes it is part of MS Office.

The simple solution for you would be to save your mail to a folder as EML's.
    Then you can open the eml's with the Open Office equivalent of MS Word.
    You can either save the messages one by one to a folder or use a utility like OEView to save them all at once. Plus that's a free program. Hope that's a little more helpful.
    T.:)

9. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe

You can probably import Outlook Express into many different eMail clients and then export or convert those to MBOX format, which is practically universally understood (well, by everything except Outlook, anyway).

10. cameronfrancis

Hello Throoper, Thank you for the explanation and link to OEVIEW. That worked! :):):)

Cameron

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/675238

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice